X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of snow pushing on wall

I'm starting to get kind of concerned with the amount of snow sliding off the roof and pushing on my back wall. I'm wondering how mush weight is pushing the wall. I have not noticed any cracking in the sheet rock or any bowing or anything like that.
    The wall is 50' long and built with 2X4's 12" o/c. Including the two outside walls it has 5 adjoining walls that run perpendicular with the longest stretch of no adjoining perpendicular wall being 14'.
    I'm not concerned with the front wall that is 50' long with no adjoining walls other then the outside ones as this is a 16" thick cord wood wall that even a bulldozer would have a hard time pushing over.
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Weight of snow pushing on wall

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    I'm starting to get kind of concerned with the amount of snow sliding off the roof and pushing on my back wall. I'm wondering how mush weight is pushing the wall. I have not noticed any cracking in the sheet rock or any bowing or anything like that.
    The wall is 50' long and built with 2X4's 12" o/c. Including the two outside walls it has 5 adjoining walls that run perpendicular with the longest stretch of no adjoining perpendicular wall being 14'.
    I'm not concerned with the front wall that is 50' long with no adjoining walls other then the outside ones as this is a 16" thick cord wood wall that even a bulldozer would have a hard time pushing over.
    Actual snow pushing on wall is about 5'.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-13-2008, 06:42 PM.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Its good insulation.....

Usually in a situation like yours, the warmth from the walls will melt anything touching it, so there could actually be a gap between your wall and the mound of snow and you can't see this.

But for your own piece of mind, then remove the snow....

How much of a push can your walls withstand, this all depends on how it was built....

I've seen snow, go all the way up to the roofs, really the only bad thing I have seen go wrong, was some water getting in through the windows.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

is it 2x4or 2x6

i would get it off the wall before the water starts going into the wall like garager said
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You could go through a lot of math to figure out how much pressure is being put on the wall. First you have to figure out how much of the snow it takes to make a gallon of water. Chances are it's a LOT of snow! Then, using the weight of 1 gallon of water, which is generally given as 8.33lb. There's a function that'll give the amount of pressure.

Generally, the weight of the snow isn't the problem, however. The problem is the melt/freeze cycle of the snow that causes the siding to open and allow more water in. This is especially bad around windows. Garager's right.

BTW, that's a LOT of snow! Y'all want some of our ice to go with it? And...no fair gloating about the cool shop!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, even though I figured it would involve the S word.
            Yes, SHOVELING. I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS WINTER! What ever happened to global warming?
            Thanks again for the advise. I was so concerned about the weight of the snow, I lost sight of the fact that that snow will soon turn to water.

Yes it is 2"X4's 12" o/c. I got a wicked good deal on 2X4's.

Comment

Working...
            X