Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beams Basement

Hi,
    we are planning to finish our basement... In the middle of the basement we have 4 load bearing metal beams. This is creating a hard time for us to layout the plans.
    So far we have spoken to 2 contractors and they don't believe it is doable.

Does some one know if it is possible. If so do I look for certain special type of contractor?

Thank You
    Ritu

Re: Beams Basement

Originally posted by Ritu View Post
    Hi,
    we are planning to finish our basement... In the middle of the basement we have 4 load bearing metal beams. This is creating a hard time for us to layout the plans.
    So far we have spoken to 2 contractors and they don't believe it is doable.

Does some one know if it is possible. If so do I look for certain special type of contractor?

Thank You
    Ritu
    If WHAT is possible????

Comment

My guess is your wanting to move or remove some of the beams,

but since you did not state what you want to try, that is only a guess,

most any thing is possible, but is it safe, and more than likely to do it properly one may have to get an structural engineer involved to spec out the proper load bearing replacement materials and to make the proper changes so the house does not end up in the basement.

most contractors and builders are not engineers (not saying they do not have a feel for what will work) but to spec out a major change in load bearing most will not touch it with out some one backing them up in the decision. LIABILITY is a major issue.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just to clarify, do you want to raise the steel beams because they are too low or are you having a hard time with layout because of the steel columns holding them up?

You might be able to get a structural engineer to draw something up and have the beams 'recessed' but you would need oodles of money

If the columns are the problem try to hide them in walls as much as possible. Is your layout is like most houses in Sterling; center stairwell, HVAC and water heater equipment next to stairs? Laundry about 20 paces from bottom of stairs?

It's not uncommon to have a boxed in column about 2 feet off a wall in these houses. I know it looks a little odd but you get used to it.

Comment

Comment

I was going to somewhat reply, however I think I'm going to stay away from your thread. This is a structural situation, as mentioned, go find a structural Engineer. How big is your bank account???????? Because almost anything is possible.....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your response.

Comment

all the realtors i know usually call either an architect or a structural engineer when they want to renovate anything that involves "beams", regardless of what the beams are made of. paying for sound professional advice is an investment in your future happiness and security.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I agree with getting a structural engineer involved. I am an architect here in mountana and while we do some load bearing calcs, we leave all final approval up to our structural engineer.

Now your options could be recessing the existing beams into the floor pack or even doubling up the number of floor joists in order to decrease the number of beam required. BUT either of these options depend on the point loading of these beams and what they are exactly holding up. Is it floor load or is it roof load?

Again DO NOT modify any structural framing without consulting a local engineer.

Comment

Working...
                  X