X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Type of Level

Just looking for some reassurance on a purchase today. Bought a 48" Johnson Laminated American Hardwood Brass Bound level (Model 748-LC-12). It was cheaper than the aluminum box beam and came with a case. Bought it primarily for use on building my deck soon, but will definitely use it afterwards. Longer means a better reading, or so I understand it.

After doing some follow up reading (yes, I read before the purchase but it was quite some time ago) I found that wood levels are used primarily in the masonry trades. So, came on here and did a search for your opinions and found nothing. Figured I'd start the thread...

So what's your favorite level?

Re: Your Favorite Type of Level

Stabila

Comment

Heh, that didn't take long. Knew that name would pop up quick. If I was a pro, definitely would've forked over the cash for one.

Comment

I'll second Stabila, I like the electronic ones in particular

http://www.stabila.com/main.taf?p=1,1,6,3

Level by tone is a great feature.

Comment

My favorite level is a 9" Empire topeto level.know its small, but works well for my needs.I heard a tip on another fourm that you could tape a torpeto level onto a strait peice of wood and have a long level,but I havent tried this.

Comment

I have used a Stabila for years, but I also use several Swansons including a 6' for doors and have had no problems, these are all metal levels. When in question I just check the level of each to varify accuracy, and go on.

Comment

I like stabila and master level, but my favorite is my plumb-it extendable level. It extends from 4' to almost 11' and is primarily used for plumbing studs in framing. It replaces a plumb-bob and the second person on a ladder for this task.

Now that I am doing a lot of counter-top removal and base cabinet leveling it is great. I just find the highest spot in the kitchen and bring everything up to that level with firring. I can leave one end on the high point and usually reach every other point on the cabinet top just by extending the level.

I have had this tool for almost 10 years and it is still very accurate. I don't know if it is even still available for sale, but I did see a stabila version that I didn't like as much. It cost me quite a few bucks back when I bought it as I recall, especially since I was making only $10 an hour back then!

Eli

Update: found the site. Still alive and well!

http://www.plumb-it.com/extendables.html
              Last edited by woodenstickers; 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM.
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Don't use levels enough to say that I have a "favorite" level. The Johnson you purchased is nice although it would not have been my first choice. I like the aluminum box or i-beam style levels. Aluminum allows the level to be very strong without being very heavy. Aluminum also allows for the level to be used in adverse weather conditions if the need arises. My fear with a wood level would be warping, swelling, etc.

Comment

Let's see if this picture clues any of you in to what this very special level is about and/or used for. I'll give a hint that it's a special cast iron and is precision ground on the bottom flat side. If dropped it's big $$$ lost.

I'll try to post a better picture soon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a block level or machinist level, however you like to refer to them. Those things start at $100 and just go up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by PutnamEco View Post
                      I'll second Stabila
                      I'll third it.
                      That or a laser level.

Comment

Stabila
                        Hilti Laser

Comment

Three inches of brandy in a water glass--evens everything out!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            Let's see if this picture clues any of you in to what this very special level is about and/or used for. I'll give a hint that it's a special cast iron and is precision ground on the bottom flat side. If dropped it's big $$$ lost.

I'll try to post a better picture soon.
                            Looks like a Starret master reference level, the ones used to calibrate and verify the working levels.

Go
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                            X