X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchoring a knee wall without a return

I am going to get rid of a banister that runs along the staircase that goes to the basement and replace it with a knee wall with a cap and some trim work. The wall is about 8-9ft long and has a return at one end. How do I secure the opposite end to make sure it doesn't wobble? Do I run one of the studs near the end of the wall through the subfloor and bolt it to one of the floor joists or do they make an anchor plate for securing to a plywood subfloor? My knee jerk reaction is to run a stud down to one of the floor joists as this will probably be the most stable solution. Any thoughts?

Re: Anchoring a knee wall without a return

If you can cut through your flooring and send an end stud down through it, then tie (bolt it, not screw it) it into a floor joist. This would most certainly improve your chances on that end to last a long time. But you must also tie in the two floor joists on each side, with the one in the middle(thats holding your stud). Just because you tied into a floor joist doesn't mean it won't wiggle, because that floor joist can move also. So if you brace that joist with the other 2 on each side, this will be so much more stronger. Do not use construction grade, I would go w/Douglas Fir or even a hardwood as the end stud.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Re: Anchoring a knee wall without a return

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X