Rough opening for prehung doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough opening for prehung doors

Is there a general rule of thumb on a rough opening for a prehung door for all doors?

Re: Rough opening for prehung doors

Your question is a little vague. If you're asking about how much wider the rough framing should be than a pre-hung jamb set, most guys will add a quarter inch to each side for shims, so the answer would be 1/2 inch wider.
    Personally, I like to take an extra minute during framing to make the hinge side studs perfectly plumb and square, then I can nail the jamb directly onto the framing. This way I only need the framing a quarter inch wider than the jamb set.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. What I am trying to say is, for example for a 36" door is there a perfered rough opening and so on for a 32" or a 6' french, all prehung.

Comment

check this out

http://www.thermatru.com/TechManual.aspx
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by charliesam53 View Post
          for example, for a 36" door is there a perfered rough opening and so on for a 32" or a 6' french, all prehung.
          Gotcha. Some people will say you can just add 2 inches to the door size and you'll be o.k.
          Unfortunately, if you order three 36" doors from three different manufacturers, they'll all be a different width when you actually put your tape on them, so beware.
          But if you don't have your doors on site when you're framing, you have no choice but to guesstimate.

Fun fact:
          The phrase "rule of thumb" comes from a British judge in the 1700's that said a man may legally beat his wife, provided that he used a stick no thicker than his thumb.

Comment

ROT for doors when you don't have the suppliers' info:
            Door width + 2 1/2", Door height + 3". For the height, remember you have to have room for the threshold, which can greatly vary in thickness.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Interior Door is 36" jambs are 3/4" per side, I like 3/8" for shimming each side, 6' 8" high, you have to add 3/4" for the jamb 3/8 for shimming and clearnace to finished floor, usually 1".

Comment

I use 2" over on the width, 3" over on the height.

Comment

Width + 2", Height + 3" is industry std.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you for all your help.

Charlie

Comment

Is that it, no more replies.....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

2" W , 2-1/2" H

Comment

Working...
                        X