Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Construction Costs

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are going to have a custom home built on our property in the next year or two. I work in the finance industry and, for some time, I have been trying to track down some sort of construction data/index that I could monitor to see the trend in construction costs.

I live in the Central Florida area and we are looking to build around a 3000 sq' home for our growing family. When we started developing the floor plans about a year ago, the avg cost per sq' ranged from $100 - $150. I have not talked to any of the local builders recently to gauge the current costs, but could only assume that the costs to build have dropped somewhat due to the home inventory increase and decline in demand.

Can anyone provide me a 101 on what I should be looking for, or any other tips? Is there anything that I can monitor to stay abreast of construction costs? Is it more expensive to build one story or two? Does the avg cost per sq' foot include total square footage, or only air-conditioned?

I could go on and on, but want to make this somewhat of a quick read. Thanks in advance for any information...

Brad
    "If you're gonna hoot with the owls, you've got to soar with the eagles!"

Re: New Construction Costs

hi
    with the recent slump in house prices in fla ,why build ?.
    there are tons of houses on sale at below market .2 hardest hit areas in the subprime is "stockton calif, and florida .

Comment

Give it another year or two and you should even do better then now....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The reason that we are building is because we bought 5.5 acres over a year ago and secured financing through a lot loan that needs to be rolled into a constuction loan, or some other long-term financing within 5 years. We obviously have some time to get this done, but we won't to start gathering some information and opinions about the current costs of building.

Thanks,
        "If you're gonna hoot with the owls, you've got to soar with the eagles!"

Comment

Originally posted by bjrenn View Post
          Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are going to have a custom home built on our property in the next year or two. I work in the finance industry and, for some time, I have been trying to track down some sort of construction data/index that I could monitor to see the trend in construction costs.

I live in the Central Florida area and we are looking to build around a 3000 sq' home for our growing family. When we started developing the floor plans about a year ago, the avg cost per sq' ranged from $100 - $150. I have not talked to any of the local builders recently to gauge the current costs, but could only assume that the costs to build have dropped somewhat due to the home inventory increase and decline in demand.

Can anyone provide me a 101 on what I should be looking for, or any other tips? Is there anything that I can monitor to stay abreast of construction costs? Is it more expensive to build one story or two? Does the avg cost per sq' foot include total square footage, or only air-conditioned?

I could go on and on, but want to make this somewhat of a quick read. Thanks in advance for any information...

Brad

the cost to build has not dropped any. if anything material keeps going up. there are some sub contractors out there giving labor away pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for. all the good companies are still pretty busy.

Comment

You can get those costs from a reputable Architect, because its based on what you plan on building. My first question that comes to mind is Hurricanes, and building your house to withstand one.

Also what ever formula you use per square foot, add another 25% on top of that.

Comment

Have you already hired some contractor? If yes then sit with him and ask him to give you some options and details. The best tip is, do homework for building home properly before staring construction. Also go for a visit to your friends home just to get few more ideas.

Comment

Hi,
                I think it would be better if you take a house for rent. Constructing a new house will be more expensive. My advice to you would be to go for rented house. However, if you want to go ahead of building the house you can hire a contractor who will able to give you the correct information.
                New Roofing

Comment

Originally posted by jhonson View Post
                  Hi,
                  I think it would be better if you take a house for rent. Constructing a new house will be more expensive. My advice to you would be to go for rented house. However, if you want to go ahead of building the house you can hire a contractor who will able to give you the correct information.
                  that post is from 2008
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    that post is from 2008
                    What he said!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      that post is from 2008
                      And they are probably still trying to get a loan

Comment

Hi to all,

I want to share my some views with you. The cost per square foot is often higher for a small home than that of a larger home. It is not easy to think what to do, whether we buy our new home or go for rented. We should take such decisions under experienced and trustworthy property dealer.

Comment

Working...
                        X