Ceramic Tile over Vinyl Flooring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Tile over Vinyl Flooring?

Can anyone tell me the best way to install ceramic tile over vinyl flooring? I would like to do it with out taking up the old floor. The floor is sound, house was built 13 years ago.
    ________
    MAZDA MX-5 10TH ANNIVERSARY MODEL PICTURE
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM.
    Mike

Re: Ceramic Tile over Vinyl Flooring?

Never

Would you want that in new construction?

Absolutely not.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Topdawg,
      Ditto the info from Dunbar. He's right. Don't do it. Don't even consider doing it. Forget about it! Tear up the old vinyl floor anyway you have to. Ice scraper. Putty knives, air scraper. Whatever. Best way in the world to crack new tile floor is by putting it over vinyl or anything else. And don't forget to put down the new tile backer board before laying the new floor. It's strong and won't flex and is better than the durock cement board. That stuff is just too wavy for my liking. If you are intent on doing this yourself, make sure you catch a class on this process at a Lowe's or Home Depot before trying it. If you've not done tile flooring before, I'd highly recommend you hire a pro to do this. The pros make it look easy because they are pros and have encountered every pitfall in the book that you only have a glimmer of hope of learning. No offense meant because they have years of experience with it. Good luck. Let us know how you come out.
      Jim Don

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll tell the wife if she wants it done she can start scraping or just go ahead and take it off the honey-do-list
        ________
        NEW JERSEY MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:44 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Rent one of the power floor scraper machines, they will save you hrs of hard on the knees work, in to jsut a few minutes,

such as a Taylor/ Palmer and there are a few other companies that make a similar units of different design.

I did a kitchen the other day for my Daughter, she had had scraped off the old linoleum bathroom floor by hand and took her about 4 to 6 hrs, and the kitchen was need to be done, I took over my Palmer 101 floor scraper, http://www.palmerdistributing.com and had the job done in about 20 Min's,

probly would have taken them 20 hours of work by hand, compared with the size of the bathroom.

a video of how they work,
          http://www.taylortools.com/productmovie.html
          Attached Files
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD, looks like that would be a lot easier than manual scraping!!
            ________
            Mazda 929 coupe picture
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM.
            Mike

Comment

TD ...

As you are now aware, tile should not be set on vinyl. Period. However, lifting the vinyl is a nasty job and doesn't really help anything. After all, once removed you have gained only about 1/8" in finished floor height which you'll probably loose to Plani-Patch needed to repair the inevitable sub-floor damage. Most ceramic/porcelain floor tiles easily add 3/8's to 1/2" including thin-set so you already have a transition height issue. Lift a heat register cover and see if the vinyl is laid on the original sub-floor (sometimes, there are layers of subfloors). If there are layers, peel them off, screw and glue 1/4" Hardi-Backer and then tile away.

Comment

I had 3 layers of vinyl floor in my kitchen and tiled over that.
                An old Italian tile guy in town told me it would work as long as you used the right thinset. It was good for 6+ years and I recently tore up most of it to put down a hardwood floor, except for a small area at the back door that is still fine.
                I didn't know any better.

Comment

Working...
                X