Advice on Bent Garage Door Track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Bent Garage Door Track

My wife forgot to close a car door, pulled out of the garage, and bent the heck out of the car door and the track that the overhead door for the garage goes in. Neither the car or the garage door opens or closes anymore.

Tried going to HD, but they didn't have any tracks. I've got a company coming out tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through something similar or knows about it. I'm kind of curious as to if just the damaged part of the track can be replaced? If the track should just get some not-so-gentle persuasion to be mostly straight again. And also, in your neck of the woods if you know how much that would cost.

I've included a picture of the bent track here, with the one next to it for a straight reference.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Advice on Bent Garage Door Track

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    My wife forgot to close a car door, pulled out of the garage, and bent the heck out of the car door and the track that the overhead door for the garage goes in. Neither the car or the garage door opens or closes anymore.

Tried going to HD, but they didn't have any tracks. I've got a company coming out tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through something similar or knows about it. I'm kind of curious as to if just the damaged part of the track can be replaced? If the track should just get some not-so-gentle persuasion to be mostly straight again. And also, in your neck of the woods if you know how much that would cost.

I've included a picture of the bent track here, with the one next to it for a straight reference.

Thanks.
    Very hard to see any damage form the picture but the track looks like the one I have made by "The Overhead Door". I have replaced the pulleys, cables and springs over the years, but never dealt with damaged tracks. Have you tried to straighten the track using pliers, hammer. pry bars? Once you have repair people come out you are going to be paying by the hour so ask their rates because it may be cheaper to have a different system installed such as the ones that use a torsion bar. I live in Norwalk, CT and that company The Overhead Door is right in my town. Might be worth giving them a call and asking about replacement parts for the track if you can't straighten it out. One last suggestion, since the damage is done and the track and door are not functional, if you can remove the damaged section take it to a shop such as Body and Fender repair where the folks know how to work with metal and have torches to heat and tools to shape the part back in place. Good luck.

Comment

Just got back from the garage. If the track is simply bent or pushed out of vertical alignment it is probably held in place to the garage wall with lag bolts that can be loosened to allow proper alignment. Very important note about garage doors that use springs, make sure you have safety cables running through each spring! In the event of a spring breaking these safety cables prevent the spring from becoming a projectile which can do a lot of damage to whatever it hits. If you are not comfortable doing this work, let the pros bang it out. At the end of the day it comes down to the doors working properly but more importantly safely.

Comment

HD may not stock them but they can order them, they may only be able to get you the set (4 pieces). Look for a local company that only deals in garage doors as suggested by Frank. Hope you did not just get the contractor while you were at HD as they would likely just order the part from HD same as you

Comment

If the track is slightly bent..difficult to determine in your photo.. you may be able to remove the section and carefully make it straight.

If the track section is really bent! just get a new piece as this will eliminate roller damage in the future.

The torsion spring is not something the untrained should deal with. As mentioned earlier these can be very dangerous and should be left for the pros.

I'd call a local garage door service company..they advertise in the yellow pages and may even offer 24 hour service.

The repair cost assuming the garage door is still usable should run around $100.00 or less, not including the cost of the replacement track.

Even if you can straighten the track you may still want a pro to put the door back on and re-torque the torsion spring..He will also determine of the cables are not damaged.

Safety here is critical..even though us DYI'ers see this as not a difficult task.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. I managed to fix it myself with a 3lb hammer and a crowbar. The track was probably about 1" off of where it should have been. Not an incredible amount (as most of you couldn't see it in the picture), but enough that one of the rollers came out. 1/2" of that was that the inside of the track was bent, the other 1/2" was that the angle holding the track to the wall was bent. The track had some holes in it, that let me use the crow bar for leverage to get the track itself mostly straight. Then a number of whacks with the hammer on the angle got it mostly square.

The door does go up and down without any strange noises, and the roller rides inside of the track and doesn't look like there are any problems with it. The only thing that is bugging me is that the opener is bringing it up about 6" short of the other door. I don't know if that was always like that, or if when it came off the tracks there the opener got stupid and doesn't retract quite all the way.

I think that I'm not going to let it bother me, though. I don't think that the springs should be damaged at all, because, because the door itself was up when this happened and the upper track that the springs are above is fine. If the door was down, then I think I would be really messed up. Also, they are extension instead of torsion and have the safety cables running through the spring. If I have someone come out to work on one of the doors for something else, I'll have them check everything out though.

According to the guy at the body shop this isn't uncommon. He has four cars that came in this week that people backed into something w/ a door open. (That isn't a normal week, but just a big burst). One of the other guys also knew exactly what happened when he saw the car, before I even told him.

Comment

Glad it worked out well. Now you can add this repair to your list of talents and remember only to mention the event if necessary "Remember when you broke the garage door?".

Comment

There is an adjusting screw on the operator to have it open further if it is bothering you . Very simple to ad just-- just turn the screw a little at a time and test.

Comment

Working...
                X