X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ceiling's type

What is my basement ceiling's name? plaster ceiling? good? my house was built in 1950. I am thinking to finish this room and make it looks better. any suggestion? right now the ceiling is 86" high. thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: the ceiling's type

looks like plaster over timber battens?

patch up and paint ceiling and pipes the same colour?

Comment

I am a little puzzled by the picture. Swirled ceilings were popular in the mid 60s, along with those popcorn ceilings, but I really don't recall seeing any swirling dated before that. The swirling was done with gypsum over sheetrock. What puzzles me is the color of the undercoat. It looks just like the dark, coarse base-coat applied before the white finish coat when lath and plaster were used. Also the white swirling seems to be thicker than a ceiling swirled with gypsum and looks more like the thickness of a plaster ceiling. That said your ceiling looks to me as though it was done by an amature so maybe there was a problem keeping the swirled top coat even. A give away would be if there was some lath sticking out but I don't see any. Based on the thickness of the top coat I would hazard a guess that it is a plaster ceiling.

I am pretty sure the chemical composition of both plaster and gypsum are similar and there is only a slight molecular difference. That difference is crucial as plaster has a hard time sticking to substances that are not plaster based while gypsum will stick to almost anything. (I don't think blueboard was yet developed in the 60s. ) I haven't fooled with chemical compositions in a long time but that is what I seem to recall. Maybe a chemical engineer on the forum will help you out.

Comment

I like your answer Tom, going for the history of it.

Now I took this picture and enlarged it, yes it does look like plaster and also as Tom said, done by an amature. I'm not gonna guess at what year this was or whats under it or in between, I'm just going to answer your question.

What can you do to make this look nicer, not much because of your 86"s, so also as was mentioned, paint it. Patch your holes and try to match your swirls and paint away.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It is really tough to tell what it is from the pic, but as far as the swirl finish is concerned, I have seen lots of that done with sheet rock cement (taping cement) and a wallpaper brush. Yes, this does look like the work of an amateur and as I look closer at the pic, could it possibly be done over white Nuwood sheathing that was popular back then? Does the material seem more like concrete or is it softer?

Comment

Shoot, I had it zoomed in, much more then this, but this is the only size it would let me put in here. Maybe I'll try again later...

Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

IT looks like a plaster job of some sort, what the lath is I can not tell, my guess it is either wood lath or possibly gypsum lath, (a form of drywall), the texture job is a DIY job it appears. (either a texture paint, or some type of texture product).
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thank you guys, here are better photos. I will take more closer photos after work today.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by lmei007; 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X