X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement floating between floor slate

Someone added a 6X14' addition to our 'Florida Room'. The random slate matches well but the cement has degraded significantly relative to the rest of the floor. The depth of the voids vary from even with the slate to 3/8" below it and is continuous around the slates. Is there a product that works for small depth repairs? If so is there a coloring agent I can use to make the newly floated slate darker? I really don't want to tear the floor up but I am tired of hiding the area with lounge chairs.

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Cement floating between floor slate

I see no one has helped you Tom and I'm sorry to say, I can't either. Slate, I'm no expert in, plus I'm having a little trouble visualizing your question. Can you post a picture and if I can't help, I'm sure I can find the right person, if it can be fixed that is. Mark
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I too am having trouble getting my head around your situation. Is it the grout that you are talking about. If so then peeling out the grout is not that big of a deal.
      A couple pics of the area would really be helpful.
      I am not sure what you mean by the newly floated slate????

Comment

It sounds like the grout is chipped away in places and he is looking for advice on how to patch it and have it match the existing grout.

Comment

Sorry for the messed up description. We have two digital cameras, both of which will do everything except weed the garden, but I haven't taken the time to learn to use them. We have a copy of 'Digital SLR Cameras For Dummies' that my wife bought a year ago. I will try to read the appropriate chapters tonight and post a picture tomorrow.

Thank You,
          Tom

Comment

This post is an attempt to add pics to clarify my cement spalling problem. I also tried another pic of a pen I made from some antlers to see if I could import images from another source. Sorry in advance for not keeping with the post's topic.

As I hope will be apparent from the pics the cement has eroded from around the slate in this portion of the floor. The slates appear to have been set directly in cement. I sure would like to be able to repair this area without ripping the floor up. Someone mentioned grout. Might that be a viable alternative to cement?
            Attached Files

Comment

Tom, Scrape out as much as you can and then fill with grout for ceramic tile (sanded grout) Add some liquid latex to it for extra strength and durability. If you get the grout from a ceramic tile dealer, they will tell you how much latex to add--don't depend on the big box stores to know! You will have clean it from the slate a little sooner than normal with the latex--it really sticks.
              Jim

Comment

A Pressure washer might help get the old grout out.Cover everything with plastic have a helper push the water out the door,or wet vac the water up.
                They make a grout bag,looks like something you would put icing on a cake with.It works great, fill with grout and fill the joints.
                good luck
                If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Thank you for all the help.

I do have a couple questions. The slates are set in concrete. When adding new concrete to old there is a yellowish substance that enhances bonding between the two concrete surfaces. Should I paint some of that on the old cement before I use the grout? Should the concrete be wet when I add the grout? This area is a screen porch, although my wife, who is from Baltimore, calls it a Florida Room, and as such it is subjected to the temperature variations in the northeast. The only sanded grout I have ever seen has been used indoors. Is the sanded grout OK to use outside? Last is there a type of sealer that should be used on the joints after the grout is set?

Thank you again,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                    Thank you for all the help.

I do have a couple questions. The slates are set in concrete. When adding new concrete to old there is a yellowish substance that enhances bonding between the two concrete surfaces. Should I paint some of that on the old cement before I use the grout? Should the concrete be wet when I add the grout? This area is a screen porch, although my wife, who is from Baltimore, calls it a Florida Room, and as such it is subjected to the temperature variations in the northeast. The only sanded grout I have ever seen has been used indoors. Is the sanded grout OK to use outside? Last is there a type of sealer that should be used on the joints after the grout is set?

Thank you again,

Tom
                    You don't need the yellow stuff. The latex will take care of that. You don't need to wet the concrete--just have the grout kinda soupy (not too soupy-more like pancake batter) and spread it on with a rubber float. Wash it down with a large square sponge and be careful not to wash it out of the joints. Yes sanded grout can be used on your porch.
                    And yes, there is a sealer you use after the grout is dry. You can get that where you buy the grout.

Comment

Well I don't know. If your distance between your slate was 1/4" or so, I'd see that there wouldn't be a problem. But seeing the huge gaps, well all I can say is good luck.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X