Adding a wall in the garage - what to do with the ceiling drywall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a wall in the garage - what to do with the ceiling drywall

I have a 7'6" room that runs the width of the back of my garage. I recently removed 6 feet of the wall that separates the back room from the garage in order to make a parking space for my John Deere tractor. I want to build a wall to re-enclose the back room (to separate it from the tractor parking area) as that is where I have my workshop.

The wall I need to build is not a load bearing wall so should I trim the ceiling drywall so the new wall contacts the bottom chord of the trusses or should I just have the top double plates of the new wall rest against the existing ceiling drywall?

There is also a strip where the original wall met the side wall that I will need to patch. I'm thinking about belt sanding a taper in the existing drywall, filling the area with a strip of drywall and then mudding it to match. The walls and ceiling are the knockdown texture so I'm thinking about spraying texture over the patch and then knocking it down with a drywall knife in order to blend it in.

Any hints/advice are appreciated!

Re: Adding a wall in the garage - what to do with the ceiling drywall

No need to trim away the Sheetrock on the ceiling. You don't really need to double plate the wall in this case. (non-bearing) As far as the wall patch is concerned, I wouldn't try to sand in a taper, just patch in some drywall and feather in a wide tape joint. Sanding a taper will just remove the paper and weaken the drywall.

Comment

Thanks! I'll forget the taper on the existing drywall. I might need to sand the texture off the corner areas where the new wall meets the existing wall so when I spray new texture, it blends in. What do you think?

Comment

2 things you should also do, green treated bottom plate and do not let the drywall come into contact with the cement slab. Keep it at least 1/2" up off the slab....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I definitely will use a treated bottom plate. I am also thinking that I will use a double bottom plate in order to keep the drywall 1-1/2" off the floor so that any water that drains off the tractor snowblower won't damage the drywall.

Comment

Any thoughts on how to blend/match the knockdown texture on the walls? I was thinking about sanding off the existing texture in order to mud the corners and then re-texture the areas. I probably won't be able to make it totally blend in but it is in a garage...

Comment

Originally posted by khe View Post
              Any thoughts on how to blend/match the knockdown texture on the walls? I was thinking about sanding off the existing texture in order to mud the corners and then re-texture the areas. I probably won't be able to make it totally blend in but it is in a garage...
              Lots of practice.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
              X