Hardwood floor refinishing cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardwood floor refinishing cost

what about sanding and poly. empty house. 1$ a foot? They buy everything and rent the sander.2 Rooms 1 entry. The last owner had rugs in the middle of the rooms.Polyed around the carpets. Where the rugs were are very dull.Like the dirt in the rugs sanded the floor .
    Friends mom just bought this house and wants a price.The stain looks good,the floors look great.Just a big dull spot in the middle.
    This is a great big 110 year old house in a very very rich neighborhood, full of huge old homes.
    I want to sand lightly until the whole floor looks the same,clean all dust and poly. What do ya'll think?
    If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrandy View Post
      what about sanding and poly. empty house. 1$ a foot? They buy everything and rent the sander.2 Rooms 1 entry. The last owner had rugs in the middle of the rooms.Polyed around the carpets. Where the rugs were are very dull.Like the dirt in the rugs sanded the floor .
      Friends mom just bought this house and wants a price.The stain looks good,the floors look great.Just a big dull spot in the middle.
      This is a great big 110 year old house in a very very rich neighborhood, full of huge old homes.
      I want to sand lightly until the whole floor looks the same,clean all dust and poly. What do ya'll think?
      Something needs to be done, obviously. Sanding and re-finishing is the only option to get everything back to one shade. You'll have to sand a good bit, and it's going to be REALLY dusty. It's a lot of hard work.

Floor sanders are tricky beasts and they're not easy to learn. If you can start in an area that's not visible, out of the way, and learn how to use the sander, you could probably do the job. You'll also want hand sanders to get up close to the wall. And you will have to have a good shop vac or two. I don't know any tricks to help keep the dust down. You need to put plastic around all the openings/doorways.

Be prepared to take a lot of time. Depending on the size, it can be weeks before you're done. You'll be downright sick of it by then!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If the current finish is in good shape and you do not need to cut it back down to wood, I would jsut use the buffer on it with a open screen disk on it and clean up the surface and re coat with a compatible finish, (may need to de wax it first), probably use a small sander around the edges,

they also make some (rental) sanders that are large orbital sanders, that are very DIY friendly, and if all your doing is abrading the current surface and taking out some small scratches, they may be the ticket for you (they go by names called "U sand" http://www.cherryhillmfg.com/u-sand/index.htm Or " Orbital Floor Polisher" http://www.essex-silver-line.com/sl1218.html ) they do not cut real fast but from what I read there a good unit for refinishing or finishing up.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've refinished floors before,I used the square sander like in the link.I always duct tape the hose to a wet vac,leave the cloth bag in the truck.Get an extra filter for the wet vac so i can keep the dust down.Works very well. I always helped someone else, he bid the job. We do not talk anymore. It will be an easy gig, not sure what to charge. Does a dollar a sq ft seem too high. Should take one day to sand the floors.Half to 1 day to clean all the floors. 4 or 5 hours for the 1st coat of poly,she wants 3 coats. Only 3 for the other 2 coats.
          Sand between coats? I always just put 1 coat on the other 3 houses we did.So my guess under 25 hours for 2 guys. But 4 trips there. Meeting her tomorrow,wants to move in next weekend.Poly will have almost a week to dry.
          Thanks
          If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

If you go to the links I posted up at the beginning you can see what others may be charging, but some would depend on how big the floors are, and if there are any other special circumstances, (like radiators or the floors are waxed), and what your expenses would be, and who is paying for the sander and finish,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X