X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood floor refinishing cost

I have been offered a hardwood floor refinishing job by a floor covering store, they only install tile and carpet. This particular job is 1,000 sq ft at $1.65 a foot. Included is sanding and two coats of waterbased poly finish. My floor refinishing is limited to my own flip houses a few years ago and I really don't remember how long it took. Is $1.65 a foot a fair rate? I anticipate two days for the job. Is that realistic?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Hardwood floor refinishing cost

Seems a bit high to me but lots of things can affect the cost. Are they moving furniture out and back in or is it wide open?. Stairs take more time and cost more. What's the condition of the floor? Are they installing toe molding?

I would go with a company that specializes in floor refinishing and not one that covers them. 2 days is normal.

Comment

I would want to see the jobsite before I committed to anything. Make sure there is enough meat left on the floor to handle a sanding pass. Need to see how many rooms there are and what obsticles you need to deal with (radiant heat - etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Seems a bit high to me but lots of things can affect the cost. Are they moving furniture out and back in or is it wide open?. Stairs take more time and cost more. What's the condition of the floor? Are they installing toe molding?

I would go with a company that specializes in floor refinishing and not one that covers them. 2 days is normal.
        $275.00 to change a faucet is a bit too high also. Flat rate you know...

Tom I'll respond to this tomorrow, curious as to what others have to say. But do clarify, are you doing this work, or hiring it out????

Also is this 3/4" wood or laminated? And as PC stated, is there furniture, obstacles or wide open? We need more info, and to each their own area's too, NY is 2-3 times more then my area, if you know what I mean.
        Last edited by garager; 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to any of the questions posed. I don't even know the questions to ask. All I know is that it is floor no stairs. I certainly don't want to get involved with moving furniture between rooms.

The $1.65 a foot is what the flooring store is offering to pay me.

The area of NY where I am, Albany, isn't necesarily a high cost of living area. What helps the economy here is that it is the state capital and there are tons of universities all of which provide a stable working environment with dependable, not nesessarily high, incomes.

Tom
          Last edited by Tom W; 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Is it just clear Poly, and no stain? Is it a natural finish now? Have you priced material? And other supplies? Definitely don't believe the coverage rates on the cans - they tend to be optimistic, to say the least. If it is stained now and they want it sanded back to clear wood, and a natural finish put on, you will have to be anal about your prep. If it is natural now and they want natural again, not so bad. Using a tinted coating or a stain takes a lot longer as you have to have good technique to make it come out even. 2 days sounds short on time if you are working by yourself, especially if you have to move furniture. You will have to tape off any doorways to other areas, as well as furnace registers, etc as the dust gets everywhere. Then you have to get all the dust off the floor to be finished including hand vacuuming the baseboards, etc. If you don't it will come back to haunt you when it finds its way into your roller and leaves trash in the finish. If it is a clear finish, prep is 90% of the job. Thank goodness it is water base as your recoat time is usually only a couple of hours and the vapors are much more tolerable. If you can line up all your materials for 500, and it is clear replacing clear, you should be alright on the money. Definitely find an edge and make sure it is 3/4 or if engineered hardwood that it has a good thick wear layer. Some of the cheap engineered wood is a one shot deal and cannot be refinished Pull off a threshold at a transition to another floor and see what you have. If it is an older home and the floors have been refinished a few times, it might be getting thin in the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
              The $1.65 a foot is what the flooring store is offering to pay me.
              Tom,

In Westchester County (high cost), to refinish about 2000 sq. ft. in January of 2007 I paid $1.50/sq ft. The price that was suggested first was $1.75, I countered with $1.50 and he agreed. On Long Island, my parents paid something between $2 and $3 (closer to 3 I think) a few months ago, but they only had about 600 sq. ft and didn't negotiate.

My house was completely empty, no furniture etc. I also paid about $500 to get rid of the existing carpet. After pulling up the carpet, there was some water damage near a door that he repaired for free. Probably about 2-3 boards that he replaced.

Hope this helps.

Comment

here are a few posts on some flooring boards that may help your decision.

http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com/...pic.php?t=6366

http://www.floormasters.com/communit...pic.php?t=4946

http://www.floormasters.com/communit...pic.php?t=1656

http://www.floormasters.com/communit...opic.php?t=412

http://www.floormasters.com/communit...pic.php?t=1264
                Last edited by BHD; 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here in my area, the going rate, w/no obstacles in the way, is a $1.50. So I would tend to think that in the state of NY (cost of living) you would be starting out at a minimum of $2.00.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. My plan is to go to the job Tuesday - cancelled my insurance and the new policy doesn't take effect until Wednesday - and check the number of rooms, closets etc. Costs should be between $450-$500 based on one of my pal's recent floor refinishing jobs. (He has his own buffer that he uses with a red pad to scuff the finish between coats that I can borrow.) After I check the job if I think can come out of this with $300.00 a day I will give it a try.

Apparently the store owner gets a lot of calls for floor refinishing. I have done a lot of work for one of his sisters and he was impressed with the quality, thus the offer. I quit my job a short time ago and am now back in the remodeling/restoration business full time. My hope is that more exposure to homeowners, through work like this floor refinishing, will lead to more business of a different nature. So far so good. Referals have been based on quality of work and attention to detail as was the case when I did this before.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond. You folks are the best.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by topak
                      you can always find hardwood flooring contractors that can offer you a whole lot cheaper than what others can offer. all you have to do is browse the net for more info.
                      Is there any way to red flag SPAM posts for removal by the administrators?

Tom - In my area $1.65 is a little low, but fine considering that someone is sourcing the job for you. The middleman needs his cut. You can raise your price after a couple months.
                      Don't hesitate to go through the phone book and call a few re-finishers and ask what their square footage rate is. It's just 30 seconds of their time.

Comment

topak,

I was asking what I should charge as a contractor not what I should pay as a home owner. When you posted you links it appeared as though you were advertising for a company. That is why your posts were interpreted as spam.

-Tom

Comment

Tom, as old as this thread is I'm sure you already worked out a price, but I will throw in my 2 cents in anyway. Here in NW Indiana as a flipper I have paid a contractor $1.75 per sq.ft. for sanding, staining and two coats of clear. I had quotes as high as $2.25 per sq.ft.

Comment

In the end the job ended up being $3.00 a foot. But it never materialized. The customer was on a short schedule so she hired someone else to do the job. It was nothing I did but by the time the flooring sales company got to me the job was already a couple weeks over due to be completed. The way it can work, if I want it to, is the store sells and installs everything except hardwood floors. They sell rugs, tile and all other types of flooring. The owner gets calls from people who want hardwood floor refinishing. He will send his man out to measure the floor and then quote them the price based on $3.00 a foot. If the customer accepts he gives the job to me and I slip him $200.00 - $300.00 bucks. I didn't want to do it now so he will continue to give the jobs to the same guy who he has been giving them to for a few years. The floor refinisher is something of a freelancer who doesn't have his own insurance so the store owner pays the guy $1.65 a foot and carries him on his payroll while he is at the customers house. The refinisher has his own sanders etc.

The store owner told me how many jobs he gets per month and I have forgotten exactly what he said but three or four jobs sticks in my head. I have no idea of the square ft of the average job.

-Tom

Comment

Flooring is one of those tricky things as far as pricing, quality, types & styles. We are just researching replacing the old hardwood flooring throughout our home & this has proven to be a lot more research than expected.
                              flooring information

Comment

Working...
                              X