Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this POOL LINER defective?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this POOL LINER defective?

    I paid full price (over $3000) to a well-known company to replace my standard 12' x 24' vinyl pool liner. Everything went well until the workers unwrapped the new liner and started to install it. I immediately noticed a large "white line" near the deep end and 6 or 7 other white lines throughout the liner.

    These of course, are the seam joinings or "closeouts". But I have NEVER seen closeouts that were this crude or noticeable. My previous liner and every other liner I have ever seen have seams and joinings but they are never never this noticeable. (SEE PHOTO).

    I asked that the liner be replaced because of these defects and was told that I could get a discount of $200. I said no to that. Then a "patch" to cover the spot was offered. When I questioned, in writing, the defect and the offered solutions, the company admitted the patch was a bad idea and that they would work on other solutions.

    No solutions were forthcoming and the liner company claims that the white lines were normal.

    This line is VERY NOTICABLE from as my house which looks out on the pool, which is only 5 feet away. This white line is noticeable from a long way away and it looks very bad.

    I plan to sell the house and because this is a buyer's market the buyers want everything perfect. This replacement liner looks sloppy.

    I also want my money’s worth.

    What do you think?

    Pauline in Peril
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pauline; 05-03-2008, 06:22 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

    Me personally, I would demand to be replaced. Since you have already tried to work things out, to no success...

    Can you stop payment/check?

    When its brand new, it should be almost flawless....

    Good luck on trying....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

    http://www.contractorspub.com

    A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

      For what it's worth I did a quick Google and found your liner pattern is Cambridge and they warn the seams are noticeable.

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

        Well then thats strange, considering the installer wanted to do something about the seam. So to him, this was not normal. Real question is, what did they see at the time of purchase. Was it a display setup, or a picture and how did it look at that point? Could this have been the installers first install with this manufacturer product?
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

        http://www.contractorspub.com

        A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

          In reading the Internet it sounds like the pattern type liners are printed on a white liner so the area of the seam is more noticeable than a plain colored liner's seam would be.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            For what it's worth I did a quick Google and found your liner pattern is Cambridge and they warn the seams are noticeable.

            Mark
            Actually, the pattern I got was Oceanstone Cambridge which is a little lighter. On my manufacturer's website there is no disclaimer of noticeable seams, only:

            NOTE: Every attempt has been made to accurately display the true color of the liner patterns - if you are color-matching your liner to an element around your pool, please contact us for a sample to see how it will actually look. Colors may also be slightly distorted due to monitor differences.

            It doesn't state that I'll have a big white line to decorate around.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

              Originally posted by garager View Post
              Well then thats strange, considering the installer wanted to do something about the seam. So to him, this was not normal. Real question is, what did they see at the time of purchase. Was it a display setup, or a picture and how did it look at that point? Could this have been the installers first install with this manufacturer product?

              Yes, I thought that strange also, especially when I asked him IN WRITING about the patch he wanted to put on. He quickly wrote back that the patch was a bad idea and that he was exploring another alternative. Since then he's tried again to shut me up with the $200 discount.

              I picked the pattern out of a paper brouchue. The company who made the liner is NOT the same company who had their people come out and measure, drain, and refit for the new pool. They did a get job! I feel really bad that I am holding up money from the people who actually WORKED on the site.

              I don't know what to do about this.

              Is there some kind of paint or dye I can use for a "touch up"?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                Actually, the pattern I got was Oceanstone Cambridge which is a little lighter. On my manufacturer's website there is no disclaimer of noticeable seams, only:

                NOTE: Every attempt has been made to accurately display the true color of the liner patterns - if you are color-matching your liner to an element around your pool, please contact us for a sample to see how it will actually look. Colors may also be slightly distorted due to monitor differences.

                It doesn't state that I'll have a big white line to decorate around.
                The warning I found was from a vendor not the manufacture. The point of my post was not to say you should not be disappointed in the liner only that it appears others have made the same observations. Perhaps you should email some photos to the manufacturer.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  The warning I found was from a vendor not the manufacture. The point of my post was not to say you should not be disappointed in the liner only that it appears others have made the same observations. Perhaps you should email some photos to the manufacturer.

                  Mark
                  Bingo......
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                  http://www.contractorspub.com

                  A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    The warning I found was from a vendor not the manufacture. The point of my post was not to say you should not be disappointed in the liner only that it appears others have made the same observations. Perhaps you should email some photos to the manufacturer.

                    Mark
                    I did send photos to the manufacturer. That's when they offered me the $200 and the patch. This just about confirmed that the white line was a defect. In addition, my contractor told me he had not seen anything like this come out of this company either.

                    I wish I had known in the beginning that others had had this problem. I would have picked another vendor AND contractor.

                    I just feel STIFFED by these people because I'm a girl. They think they can give me anything and I wouldn't know the difference or I would be too "ladylike" to really complain.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                      I highly doubt it has anything to do with you being a female customer.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                        it would be essayer to try to give a man the $200 off then a female
                        Charlie

                        My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                        http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                        new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                          Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          I highly doubt it has anything to do with you being a female customer.
                          That makes me feel a little better. (a little)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                            Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            it would be essayer to try to give a man the $200 off then a female
                            That's true! Especially when you think about the price of Jimmy Choo shoes!

                            The consensus of answers from this forum suggests I'll have to live with that liner. Do you think I can ask for more money off?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is this POOL LINER defective?

                              is the pool full of water
                              and if you have to take the $ it better be a lot more or they can have it back if it is not right
                              Charlie

                              My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                              http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                              new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X