X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminated Joists..?

i ran into some of these the other day on a large remodel/ these things are a ***** to drill through i spent about 10 mins trying to drill into one of these to run a water pipe / why not use fir are these cheaper or more rigid than regular fir it makes the plumbers and electricans life a nightmare when your up on a 8ft ladder busting your *** to drill a godamn hole i had to drill twenty it took almost an 1hr 1/2 just to my drilling.... anyone else run into these joists

Re: Laminated Joists..?

Yes,we see them a lot going into new homes.It used to be in the eighties all you had was gluelams(looked like 2X stacked on top of each other).

Now we have paralams(look like wood chips glued and compressed)
    and timberstrand/microlams(plywood style 2X?).

We have to get an approval from the project engineer to drill a particular glue/paralam,usually center heighth center span.

Very rarely will they let us drill anything larger than 1-3/8 in the micros.Never in the outside thirds of the spans.

Wall/Span blocking and rim joist applications are mostly a non issue.

Sometimes it's easier if you use a hole saw,as the pilot on a self feed won't bite and draw the bit.

PSSST.......you didn't happen to call the engineer before you drilled did you

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      PSSST.......you didn't happen to call the engineer before you drilled did you
      That's what I was wondering as well.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Curious as to what bit you were using?

I like using Lenox Self Feeding Bits for wood.

They're not the cheapest bit's, but they're worth the price to me.
        Last edited by Aaron91; 05-04-2008, 01:33 AM.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Penetrations are not permitted in engineered joists unless specified by the manufacturer. Enough said.....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I am with these guys... I hope you asked before you drilled... thats going to be an expensive repair if it fails inspection thanks to the hole you drilled!

Comment

Twenty?
              I just re-read the original post.
              I hope there was no excessive grouping.
              If it was water pipe size boring we would use 1-3/8 to use isolators to secure pipe.
              These still have to be 12" on center.
              Absolutely nothing in the angle of repose(45deg off bearing).

Comment

yes you read correct i drilled twenty holes in that laminated ****.. it was approved by the engineer the holes were 1 3/8 secured with isolaters

Comment

1-3/8" I wonder if a sharp ship auger would work better on a situation like this.

Actually now that I think about it,the self feed in this size does not have a tendancy to lose it's pilot in the lams.Is your bit getting dull?

I could use your engineers application on future projects do you think anyone would mind you sharing a picture?

I am not being deceptive.Engineers can approve some pretty crazy sheet.

20 holes,
                  Was this a pex manifold system?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    1-3/8" I wonder if a sharp ship auger would work better on a situation like this.

Actually now that I think about it,the self feed in this size does not have a tendancy to lose it's pilot in the lams.Is your bit getting dull?

I could use your engineers application on future projects do you think anyone would mind you sharing a picture?

I am not being deceptive.Engineers can approve some pretty crazy sheet.

20 holes,
                    Was this a pex manifold system?
                    I think he meant he drilled 20-holes total in several lams. Perhaps two in each through 10-lams?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We use these constantly in comercial and yes an engineers approval is always the first step. Usually the supplier has generic spec that is used as a guidline, we submit that to the engineer and he will add his comments, for the most part there are only specific areas that he will either say no penetrations or ask for a detail, other than that they usually go with the generic middle third length, middle third hieght. Something that I do for my subs that will have to drill these puppies is call them when the joists are first delivered to give them the oppurtunity to drill them in a civilized manner. Sorry I never paid attention to the type of bit they were using, I will ask though

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I think he meant he drilled 20-holes total in several lams. Perhaps two in each through 10-lams?

Mark
                        yep your right.. by the way i was using lenox self feed bits and yes i dulled the hell out of them, i did not have any ship augers with me at the time.. i cant take a picture because i'm at another job right now.. and it was copper tube!! i've never used pex nor even seen it installed for potable water in SF..?
                        Last edited by djrenek1; 05-10-2008, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I forgot about this, here is what I use. I get mine threw Diamond Drill.... And I drill relatively slow, so not to heat up to bad.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/relton/hard-pla.html
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

relton looks like good bit,i've never seen them before

Comment

Working...
                            X