X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail hole filler

I built a small 6X8 tool shed, 8 feet at the peak. I have primed it and am now ready to fill the nail holes and finish paint it. I tried to fill the nail holes with caulk but for some reason they sucked in. These are finish nail holes. I just returned from HD where I asked the paint guy about filling them with window glazing. He didn't even know what glazing was. I left. I did a Google search for latex glazing because I would prefer not to wait a week after applying the oil based glazing before I paint. One hit on Google suggested latex glazing was messy, sticky and runny and he did not suggest using it for filling nail holes.

Any product suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Nail hole filler

DAP Wood Filler
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger Dave,

Thank you, I even have some in my shop. I never noticed that it was listed as suitable for exterior applications.

Tom

Comment

I also use Dap, but its the Painters Putty, either one will work....

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=75
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Make sure that you prime inside the nail holes to be filled. If you don't seal them the bare would will suck the moisture out of the putty and it will sink or crack or fall out.

Comment

Thank you for the help with product information and suggestions for priming. I told my wife of my initial post and she said, "You have filled thousands of nail holes, why are you asking a question like that?" Well... the answer to her question is I couldn't remember what I had used in the past. Memory loss or lack of immediate recall is a function of aging but is not easy to accept. So, I may be asking more 'basic' questions like this in the future.

Thanks again,
            Tom

Comment

There are ALWAYS new things on the market to try/test/use. So don't think just because you've used something in the past it is still the best to use. (So keep asking away.) If you have just a few holes to fill, and they're big, use Bondo. Yes, the same stuff used to fill auto dents. It's waterproof and once it sets up it won't shrink split or suck in. Is really good for covering screw holes after you countersink. Another thing I've used is Power Epoxy with the Kevlar fibers. Works wonders on wooden door sills that have been worn down and need to be brought back up to grade. Kevlar keeps it from wearing down again. Sands and finishes like wood once dry. There is also a product on the market called Timber Mate. They have a website and you can order it on line IIRC. Works like a dream and won't shrink. Painter's putty will also work like was said, but these other options might do it a little better for ya.
              Jim Don

Comment

Working...
              X