Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i like this show

it is on discovery home channel it is Holmes on Homes

this is a general contractor going out and re doing jobs that fly by night contractors left or did not finish or falling apart

it is amazon the stuff you see ,i see it at my job when we have to go and fix the mess some one tried to do
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: i like this show

Strange, I haven't seen this show yet, I suppose it was just on.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Agree 100% it nice to see someone in the trenches showing the right way to do things and bringing light to all the stuff a lot of hacks out there do!

Comment

Holmes is a Canadian-produced show, which is probably why it may be harder to locate in certain areas of the U.S.

His show was a half hour long when it first started(tolerable), then he went to an hour(kinda unbearable). Dewalt supplies all his tools/probably a major sponsor, along with Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure that they take the worst stuff they find. Naturally, the worst jobs seem to have the most unaware homeowners........

He's done some shows in the States as well......

Good for a laugh some nights just before turning the lights out for bed......
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

This show is Canadian and he has done a few in the USA. For the most part it is a show dedicated to showing people that there is an abundance of unscrupulas tradesmen out there that will take advantage when ever they get a chance. More often then not he will go into a house to check on a homeowners complaint (eg. window is leaking) He will investigate the problem and do whatever it takes to "DO IT RIGHT". Do it right has become his credo. I have watched many of his shows and it is amazing the things that so called contractors will do and cover up. A good example was one show where he ended up gutting a recroom because he did not like what he saw. In one area there was 18 junction boxes that were behind the drywall. Many of which were not properly closed and several were missing the marretts. In one spot they had just twisted the wires together and taped them up (4 pieces of wire joined together in an 8 foot run)
          The big lesson for most of the shows is do your research and always get the permits required by your local authority. Most people don't even know that if there was an elcetrical fire in a recroom that did not have a permit drawn on the insurance company would basically say to bad so sad. There is no profit in not getting a permit. From what I have seen on these page in this forum, you are all like thinkers, Do it the correct way the first time and you will never have any problems. Check out the web site there are several episodes (episodes tab at the top) and you can form your own opinions.
          http://www.holmesonhomes.com/

Comment

Sounds like a show I would watch.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Does anyone know if they supply all the materials and labor if they select a house to fix? I am assuming they do, I watched one show where they repaired a kitchen/living room addition and ended up rebuilding a good portion of one of the outside walls, the steps, stucco, and foundation. The bill likely would have been over $100,000 on top of the $45,00 the owners said they paid to have the addition remodeled in the first place.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the cost to the homeowner is typically "half the regular cost of repair" (whatever that means). It sounds like labor is covered by the show or volunteered by tradesmen (it's good advertising for them) and the homeowner has to cover the cost of materials. Seems like a reasonable compromise. It helps keep the show from becoming "Lets turn a Pinto into a Rolls Royce" that some other renovation/makeover shows have become.

Comment

I thought it was pretty interesting, and they really try to put quality into what they are doing. In that way it reminds me of Tom Silva, who also seems to really try to make sure everything is perfect.

I don't think they should show the table saw operations they did though, they guy was freehanding it. Their "guards have been removed for TV" disclaimer is also B.S. You can't cut a circle on a table saw with a guard, because the spliter will bind up. Hopefully, some bright individual doesn't see what they do, forget Norm's first rule of power tools (be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety instructions that come with your power tools) and try to replicate this feat.

Comment

I, Do Too. My Name Is Angela, I Am From Colombia, And I Am Interesting To Know About The Electic Part Of The Mahines From Ridgid.

Comment

I just wanna welcome you to the forum, Angela. This is a great place to find info and chit chat about anything. Hows life in Colombia, everything stable there????
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just got an email with good news from the Discovery Channel. After they changed Discovery Home to planet green Holmes on Homes was no longer available in the US. But starting this Saturday at 9, Holmes on Homes is going to be back on TLC.

I really liked this show after I started watching it, but only got to watch it for about 2 weeks before they pulled the plug, so I am very happy it is coming back.

Comment

thnks for the update.
                          I was mad the discovery dropped it.

I do like the renovation nation show on planet green. It has Steve Thomas in it. It is a little slow, but shows some neat green building ideas.

Comment

Great, I'm happy TLC is picking up his show. I've been tuning in for a year or so now, long enough for my wife to ask me when I'm fixing things if I'm doing things the way Holmes would fix them. Some of the things he's uncovered just blow me away, like the lady who's two story addition was sitting on dirt instead of a footing.

Comment

If you go to his website there in a section on the homepage that gives you the times and channels of his shows in 6 countries, Canada, US, UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa

Comment

Working...
                              X