No announcement yet.

Concrete pool area help (attempt 2)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete pool area help (attempt 2)

Here's the deal. I have a ceement pond with concrete deck surrounding it. (see pictures below). I am in the process of cleaning and staining it all which is working out fine. My problem is the gaps between each slab. This is an old pool and the gaps are about 1.75" wide and formerly had wood in them that rotted long ago. No idea what kind of wood it was. The dept of each gap is about 2" deep. If I put a 2X4 inside there is lots of slop to the sides and not consistent. Pool places don't have anything to put in as they use smaller gaps now. My thoughts originally to maybe use river pebbles embedded in quikrete but after staining realized they color would be all wrong. Now I'm thinking of tile, possibly sized to fit or maybe tile pieces kind of like mosaic. I am headed towards a Mediterranean/Italian/Spanish look (in theory). I know you normally need expansion joints but how important is that given the age (and other cracks I am not fixing) of the concrete.
    Any thoughts or suggestions or other ideas?

(1st attempt lost in data crash)
    Attached Files

Re: Concrete pool area help (attempt 2)

I think my reply got lost in the site crash, so here it is again:
    You can buy white cement and add a myriad of pigments to it, and customize the color for your river pebble idea. This would also make a better background color for any mosaic tiles.
    I'd never do that up in my Northern climate, since the seasonal freeze/thaw heave would crumble it to pieces, but maybe a Southerner could tell you if this large "grout" job would hold up in Florida.

You can also buy rough cut 2x4s that are a true 2 inches thick, and rip them down to your desired gap width. These would require annual staining to maintain a desired color.

I agree with Dairylander, but as he mentioned, we're not from the south. So you won't have any up heave effect, but you'll have plenty of expansion and contraction going on. Those are some pretty wide gaps, and you'd think theres a reason for this. Shifting is a possibility, but mainly expansion and contraction.

This is your cheapest route, to fill in with a colored mortar, which will act as a grout. Me, I'd just save my money from the color additives, and stain the whole works. But the thing about stain, you get one shot at it.

If the expansion is too strong, your grout will just bust right out of there. Sand would be easier with expansion, but you'd probably not like that alternative.

Good luck on what your up against. Hopefully things will work out just fine, if you grout it.... Mark
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

As I recall they use to use redwood expansion joints on patios years ago.

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Did you ask the pool place what the purpose of the cracks is?

i use silka flex caulk a lot and i found this site that may help .if you put some backer rod in the crack then use the caulk it will work

My seek the peek fundraiser page

new work pictures 12/09

I have used blackboard cut in to strips for joints before.Maybe one strip of blackboard and a 2 by 4. Maybe a 2 by 4 with spacers on both sides,below grade and then use some kind of caulk on both sides.Use backer rod so you don't have to use as much caulk.
              If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

at one time they would leave the "forms" in place to make a block look, and that was probly done pre mid 1970's as the lumber used was 1 5/8" thick, some time they used 2x2's and other it was full 2x4 lumber depending on who was engineering it, my guess is they are more for looks than actual expansion joints, in use, the concrete is all ready cracked, you have expansion joints, I would probly grout them full if you want to tile them then go for it, I really do not think you will have any expansion issues, as they were only 2x2 to begin with, and my guess is the slab is thicker than that, (you find some nails embedded in the concrete that at one time nailed into the strips to anchor them in the cement)

If I am understanding things correctly, I would dig them out old holes where the lumber was, and then wash them clean, (depending on look) stain the deck, and then high lite the strips with a different grout, or embedded rock or tile or jsut use a grout as near as the deck is now and then stain the entire deck, I would mix the grout rich in cement for extra strength, say a 3 sand to 1 cement ratio,

If you want wood, I would take a 2x4 on side cut to 1 5/8" wide, probly round off the cut edge with sanding or a router to match the factor edge, and use a filler under the board and tap-con it down at intervals of ever 24" or/and use construction adhesive as well. If one cut is slightly tight I guess one could put dabs of construction adhesive ever 6 to 8 inches and drive the lumber into place flush, and not use tapcons, if it start to work its way up one could always go back and put in the screws. as the adhesive sets it should fill any support any gap under the board, (or screw a filler strip on to the bottom of the lumber),
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Thanks for all the input. Finally finished the cleaning and staining. Had to slow down, summer hit the ground running here. Will look at all the suggestions and figure out what I am going to do. Will post pics too. Thanks again.