X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiled vanity top removal

Hope this is the correct place to post this.

I’m removing a tiled vanity top (to be replaced with a granite top) and I am having some difficulty figuring out how to remove the entire top. I have removed the sinks/plumbing and used a hammer to smash the tiles. The tiles seems to have been set on a mortar bed of some sort with mesh and this has been screwed into a plywood base. There are screws inside the mortar bed most of which I have removed but the plywood appears to be not moving. I cannot see any signs of adhesive holding it down.

I want to remove the top without damaging the vanity itself.

Any tips on how to do this successfully.

Re: Tiled vanity top removal

welcome to the forum...
    go inside the vanity and look to see if there are screwes in the corners holding down the plywood.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thanks

Had a quick look - cannot see anything.

Comment

When I remove counter/vanity tops, I use a hand held metal detector to find those hidden screws. Yes a lot of counter tops are glued down with adhesive or caulking also. Be patience and thoroughly go over both the top and underneath, looking for the screws. If it is adhered down, you can set a circular saw at the top thickness and cut strips thru out, breaking it apart. Or get a sawzall with a thin metal cutting blade and try cutting off the top from your vanity also a sharp chisel may come in handy, more then likely it will.... You'll know what I mean when you get started.......

You really should be able to see adhesive or caulking if they used it, if you think you got all the screws, it could just be slightly stuck, so give the top a good whack from underneath and it could just pop off.

Yes welcome to our forum, glad you stopped in.....
        Last edited by garager; 06-06-2008, 06:52 PM.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome garager. This looks like a good forum. I'm quite a serious do-it-yourselfer. I actually fabricated the granite vanity myself also - just have to install it now.

I will look for the screws - you're right it is stuck on so tight that I find it hard to believe it could be adhesive - I've tried prying it with prybars and breaker bars with little movement. And adhesive usually shows as it seeps on the side and I cannot see anything anywhere.

Comment

Update - I managed to remove the top. You were correct - there were a bunch of screws hidden under the mortar. I managed to find a few but it was so miuch work trying to get the mortar off the top that I ended up forcing the top off with breaker bars. All cleaned up and ready for the new top.

Comment

Glad you got it, how about a picture of the final job....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hi blue_can! Welcome to the forums.

You made your own granite top??? Can you post some details as to how you did that? Pictures are always welcome!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Yes, I will post pics of the completed job

Unfortunately I did not take any step by step pics of the vanity fabrication. Here is one showing the edge lamination being done.

It is my third granite project – I did my kitchen and also a small counter in the hallway. I did make a slideshow showing how the small counter was fabbed – here is the link.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=45ede97f.pbw

I have a whole stack of pics from the kitchen job – just need to compile and load on the hosting site.

Comment

Do you have a router and stone bits to shape a bullnose on the granite? I investigated those once - too expensive for my blood just to fabricate a counter for my own kitchen.

Tom

Comment

blue_can,

That slide show is neat and your counters look very sharp.

Comment

Thanks cpw. I was very new to fabricating stone when I did that top (out of some remnant stone that a local slabyard gave me for free). It turned out okay but it took a long time to do as I was unfamiliar with a feel for the whole thing.

Just like anything you get better at it with each project. I have also changed some of my tooling – I now use a Makita wormdrive to cut the stone and also made a water attachment for it. I’ve also converted all the other tools that I use for wet operation. Some things take a while to master like edge polishing –to get a good shine with no haze you have to learn use the correct amount of water and the “wet to dry” method to get the good shine to come out.

As for routing and router bits – yes, the bits are expensive. I have been using an angle grinder to share the edge but you can convert a wood router to work on stone (with a speed control – the rpms for routing wood is much too high for stone). I’m looking into doing that or buying a used stone router.

Stone tooling is definitely expensive so it comes as a surprise when you first buy stuff. However, it would still be cheaper than paying someone to do it plus you get to try it yourself.

If you have standard cabinets in your kitchen you can use pre-fab slabs which already come with the bullnose edging. Of course you can have other shapes on the edge (including custom ones). Bullnose is very popular for kitchens of course. For my vanities I've made an ogee edge.

Comment

Had my neighbor over yesterday to help carry the vanity top upstairs and into place. I've just started working on installing the sinks and plumbing and also finishing off cutting and polishing off the backsplashes at the same time.

So I though I would post a pic of what it looks like

I will also post a final pic when it is all complete. The granite is called Delicatus - it is not a common stone. I got a good deal on the slab as it was one left over from the bundle. The whole slab is enough to do all my vanities (3 total). I will be doing the others in the next few weeks.

Comment

As promised here are some pics of the final granite vanity.

Old Vanity

New Vanity

Comment

Wow great looking job.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X