X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak storage

I would like to build something to store four of my kayaks at home. My initial thought was to sink 4x4s into the ground and build some arms out to set the boats on. One of my pals suggested I could screw pipe flanges to the side of my tool shed and thread 24 inch pieces of pipe into the flange. He thinks the pipe arms would be plenty strong to hold the kayaks, the heaviest of which is 40 pounds. My thoughts now are to install a 2x4 stud flat against the inside wall of the shed where I will attach the flanges then lag the flanges to it.

Any thoughts as to whether that design will be strong enough? Should I drill and through bolt the flanges to the 2x4s or will lagging them be OK? Should I double up the 2x4s inside the shed? Is the idea just nuts because the flanges and pipe will not be strong enough and should I go with 4x4s like I had originally planned?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Kayak storage

I've seen many people around here do just that. Bolt the flanges, this will be plenty strong. However, make sure when the kayaks are not there, that no one is going to walk into your piping, especially at night. The size of the piping is 1 1/2", this will not droop after time, also caulk the top of the flange so water will not penetrate into the bolt holes and cause rot...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager,
      Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought of 1 1/2 inch pipe but that is what I will go with. Also other good ideas you gave me; I will wrap the pipes with reflective tape to help with visibility at night and caulk the seams.

Many thanks,

Tom

Comment

i built arms in atriangle shape to hold my kayaks but i also made sure there was a way to secure the kayak so no one walks off with it...
        i used 2x4s for my rack and put a block of wood so the kayak will not slip off the arm.
        enjoy your building project and enjoy the kayak even more

Comment

Stuart,
          Thank you for the suggestions. I used to keep my eight kayaks and canoe all bound together with a long piece of shielded cable and a padlock. It was a real nusiance to disentangle the cable everytime I wanted to paddle. About two years ago I said, 'Forget this.' No problems at all so far. One of my pals suggested that a kayak is probably a rare comodity on the black market. The theory being not many thugs paddle.

My favorite kayaks are my Swifts, made in Canada. Great boats.

Tom

Comment

I store kayaks at both my place in California and my place in Utah. I use to try all sorts of different methods and I finally went out and bought a couple of inexpensive kayak trailers. Now they stay protected and they are easy to move around.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

you and your friends must live n a nicer area then i do. Kayaks, canes, any sort of sports equipment is borrowed asnd never returned around here.
              i am very thanksful the future wife parents owna 100 acre farm and i can store my Old Towne Kayaks daytrippers there in the barn in the winter. right at the lake, but too much work to do on weekends and i am seldom in the boats. in laws to be deck around the pool is going to ake a few weekends up now

Comment

I have two 4x4's attached in my garage floor with anchor bolts and bolted the top of the 4x4's to the ceiling. I then got some ready made padded ladder? brackets at Home Depot and screwed them to the 4x4's. worked great.. Easy to put the boats on and off. The boats are kind of tilted sideways on the brackets.

Comment

Working...
                X