X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying counter

This is another vanity I will replacing with granite. I’m not familiar with the material and how to remove it. Here is a pic –

It looks yellow in color. I banged one of the splashes with a hammer. It eventually broke and some clear pieces came off. Those pieces look and feel like plastic and did not feel very sharp. The material is not shattering is I expected.

Any suggestions how to demolish it

Re: Need help identifying counter

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    This is another vanity I will replacing with granite. I’m not familiar with the material and how to remove it. Here is a pic –

It looks yellow in color. I banged one of the splashes with a hammer. It eventually broke and some clear pieces came off. Those pieces look and feel like plastic and did not feel very sharp. The material is not shattering is I expected.

Any suggestions how to demolish it
    It appears to be cultured marble which is a mix of resins and a cementitious material.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks - any tips on the best way to remove it.

Comment

Thanks - any tips on the best way to remove it.
        Pop the splash pieces off with a SuperBar backed up with a piece of 1X2 or plywood to protect the drywall than lift the top off with a little help from the SuperBar.

Mark

Comment

OK thanks - I will try that.

Comment

They came off nicely with the use of a prybar - thanks. I've now templated and cut the granite off the template. I will rod it tomorrow.

Comment

They came off nicely with the use of a prybar - thanks. I've now templated and cut the granite off the template. I will rod it tomorrow.
              I am glad it worked out for you. I have a business meeting Friday afternoon in San Diego. I will wave at you as I travel through town.

Mark

Comment

Sure thing . I will probably be out flying so maybe I might see you from the air. Hope your meeting goes well.

Comment

Sure thing . I will probably be out flying so maybe I might see you from the air. Hope your meeting goes well.
                  My meeting in San Diego was canceled but have a safe flight. I recently lost a good friend whose plane went down just after take off in Palomar. He too was an engineer.

Mark

Comment

Sorry to hear that Mark. That kind of event is usually on the local news - although I don't always follow the local news. Was it the one where the plane went into the ocean after takeoff. That's the only recent Palomar related accident that comes to mind - that plus the Citation crash carrying some business people.

I fly out of Montgomery - if you know SD you probably know where that is.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Mark. That kind of event is usually on the local news - although I don't always follow the local news. Was it the one where the plane went into the ocean after takeoff. That's the only recent Palomar related accident that comes to mind - that plus the Citation crash carrying some business people.

I fly out of Montgomery - if you know SD you probably know where that is.
                      No he was in an Air King and ended up on the golf course after losing power and hitting power lines. Another engineer friend of mine has put his down three times in 50-years and walked away each time. He has finally given up his license.

As for Montgomery Field, a bunch of us here on the site just stayed at the Sheraton which is just South of the air field while attending a Ridgid event.

Mark

Comment

Do you mean King Air. If so I believe those are twin engine turbo-props. He lost power to both engines at the same time? That's rare.

Comment

Do you mean King Air. If so I believe those are twin engine turbo-props. He lost power to both engines at the same time? That's rare.
                          Yes it was a King Air which he had only owned for a short period although he had been flying out of that airport for years. We were told he had a mechanic with him because of an on going problem, I don't know what the final report was but here is a link:

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/ar...0897329317.txt

I have two sons who fly helicopters. One is stationed on a platform in the Gulf and the other is ex-Apache pilot but now is a primary attack helicopter observer/trainer at the Iraqi National Training Center. In addition, a young man who spent some time growing up in our home is a V-22 Osprey Instructor. Every time there is an accident my wife starts making calls.

Mark

Comment

Don't know how I missed that one - it seems like it is almost one year ago that this happened. I've flown as a passenger in a King Air (doing some ground to air testing of some wireless equipment I had designed) and they are nice planes.

I see you know lots of people who fly. Hope your sons stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X