Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kitchen cabinets

Hello -

My wife and I are purchasing new kitchen cabinets (kraftMaid).
    As for the case construction, I have choices of all plywood(tops, bottoms, sides and shelves)
    or just all the sides, or just all the exposed sides.
    Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using one over the other (besides cost) ? Will the 'furniture board' sag under the weight of heavy dishes ?
    The construction will be of 'furniture board, if we do not select plywood. Obviously, the doors will be solid.

Thanks -

Doug
    Last edited by douggage; 06-17-2008, 09:36 PM.

Re: New kitchen cabinets

All Plywood!!!

Comment

I agree. I reface cabinets and can tell you that if you plan to keep these cabinets or the house for a long time, plywood will stand up much longer and keep nicer. It also won't get damaged by water as much. Te most common thing I see with particle board that I don't see in plywood is the bottom of the sink cabinet swollen or deteriorated. The leaks that you get over the years, even little ones, add up like lead poisoning.

I would get plywood unless the savings is very significant.

Eli
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I agree w/their answer, plywood is a huge difference vs other materials. But its not just the material that makes a good cabinet. Its about how they are put together, now thats a huge difference also. Butt joints and staples forget it. Top of the line cabinets will last for years and years and will always add a value to your home. And it will impress any visitors...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Replaced ours about 5-6 years ago with Kraft Made. They were plywood sides and back with PB shelves and bottom. When I remodeled again 2 years ago because my wife wanted double ovens and new cook top I ordered a couple more and they were all PB except face frame and doors.

Haven't had any problems with them but do not like the fact the last 2 were not as well built as the earlier ones.

shup

Comment

I wor at a kitchen factory
            we build most of ours out of PB 5/8 thick unless something was special
            we offer a 20 year warranty on them so i would say PB is an excellent material for kitchens.
            the extra money you save, use it for the extras to make your kitchen one of a kind, just my personal opinion.
            start to finish we offer the design staff to installing your kichen in like 9 to 12 weeks or better
            good luck with your kitchen project

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
              we offer a 20 year warranty on them so i would say PB is an excellent material for kitchens.
              the extra money you save, use it for the extras to make your kitchen one of a kind, just my personal opinion.
              start to finish we offer the design staff to installing your kichen in like 9 to 12 weeks or better
              Stuart have you ever made cabinets out of plywood? Or seen what PB looks like under a sink, weather it may be a kitchen or bathroom. Almost every cabinet I see after they have been in for a while has swelled up, sagged down and coming apart. I have seen 100's of cabinets, even upper ones that are coming apart. No offense to you, but you work at a cabinet factory and you wanna see people buying those cabinets, this means job security.

But PB cannot even stand up to plywood, not in my book and thousands of other woodworkers and GC's. My cabinets, made from plywood and wood, has been in my home for over 40 yrs maybe 50 yrs, built in. And they are still as strong as ever and not coming apart. Just my 2 cents worth....

Sorry Stuart didn't mean to sound mean or anything like that, but this gets to me when people think that PB is a great material....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i never said it was a great material but we use it every single day in operations at the plant. we do 21 million dollars a year and everyyear the owner says sales up.

we do use plywood when the buyer requests it. The company i work for offers a warranty for 20 years on our product, covering everything from staining to hardware, to installation. if you have a leak even plywood will rot over time.
                if you see a leak or water stained area in your kitchen get it fixed , find out where the leak is and fix it.

if the product s used correctly and cared for it will last a life time.
                but what do i know I just work for a company who has been making kitchens, bathrooms and other cabinets for the consumer for the last almost 25 years

we do end up replacing entire kitchens and bathrooms due to defects and we smile as we do it and swallow the costs.

buy what you think you want or require and enjoy your kitchen when it is done

Comment

Of course you get the sales, most people just wanna save dollars and have something that looks nice. 19 out of 20 people I would say, said they never knew there was a leak. That's because they have a 100lbs of bottle and boxes under their sinks hiding the leak.

Of course they won't know until they have to get something out from way in the back, thus means pulling out 3/4 of the stuff from underneaths.

Factories are taking the true worker right out of business, and to find skilled cabinet makers is getting tougher. And even then, when a customer hears about the pricing they go into shock damn near. Its gotten to the point that only the rich can afford a cabinet maker or someone who truly understands what a real cabinet is about.

So many people have complained about their cabinets (PB) and yet they were the ones that bought it. Makes me laugh when someone tells me that they save $4000 from HD vs a Cabinet maker.

I understand that factories put a lot of people to work, which is what we all wanna see. More people working our economy is more stable then. I wish you and your company that you work for the best of luck, but I will always tell my customers and anyone inquiring about cabinets, that plywood and real wood are superior to PB....

Comment

I agree Garager, good cabinet makers are far and few between. Mainly because of the cabinet factories, they cannot compete with the price. But back to the original question plywood versus PB. No contest, plywood all the way. Anybody in the construction industry will tell you the same except of course Stuart. He is working in a factory and he only sees the product going out the door and lets face it product brand new made of PB looks good, he does not see the same product once it has aged and gone through a few normal household emergencies, like a plugged over flowing sink, a dishwasher hose that wore out or burst. That clumsy moment when you miss the sink when draining the spaghetti, etc. etc. All of these involve water and moisture which is the bane of PB. Plywood will also wick up moisture but it has to sit in it a long time before it starts to swell and distort. Unless the cost is huge I would go with plywood, plywood and more plywood. Just my 2 dollars worth

Comment

the place i work at, has at least 10 lienced cabinet makers. i am not one of them.
                      we are busy and always hiring more it seems. the big thing i think besides the material it built from you have to consider hardware, hinges and slides are the biggest concern i would have. I have replaced my parents kitchen they purchased at Sears 20plus years ago, it had all wooden slides, now the new one has roller bearing slides, and good handles that are all one piece construction. it was night and day.
                      we are doign kitchens for a project in Calgary AB, a completely green condo. No plywood or oil based materials allowed. The kitchens are made from straw board, water based glues and stains. Not sure how that straw board stands up but the builder demanded it for the project, rated as a green friendly project. I will take PB over straw board any time thanks

Comment

I like to see green building Stuart and I think more Americans should allow this to be done in their home. Green building is more expensive to do. But there are some builders that are fixated on getting that 5 star rating for their build. A 5 star rating is like fantastic advertising for their company. However, some of the materials that are chosen for the build, can be a bad choice but it will keep them in the ratings for its usage. I have never used straw boards, so that one I cannot comment on. But I have seen straw homes and let me tell you, they are strong, soundproof and well insulated...

I will have to check out the straw boards that you have mentioned. Like PB is decent for shelving (away from any water) and has its area for application, I'm sure the straw board is the same. I do like PB as stair treads as long as their is carpeting going down on top of it...

Comment

For the price most of these cabinet companies are charging, it's inexcusable to use PB. I would not recommend PB construction to any of my customers - especially in kitchen and bath areas. I've seen too many turn into sponges. I've installed many brands of cabinets, and have noticed that most of them have really gone down in build quality over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
                            I seen too many beautiful veneered PB sink bases damaged by water. The minimal damage from water is some veneer surface bubbling if caught early and swollen ripples and lumpy surfaces if the water sits longer. On some remodels I have discarded cabinets that the owner ignored the mold that grew under some mats or pans. Is there a "conspiracy" to not use some water resistant veneers or to seal the PB so a little water does not damage the PB so easily? I have repaired some extensively damaged sink bases with replacement materials if the owners did not want to invest in new cabinets because only the sink base was damaged.

Comment

Working...
                            X