Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termite Prevention and others

Termite injection preinstall system...

Who can tell me more about this. We do not have termites in our area, however we do get some carpenter ants. Now this system that I have limited knowledge on, will run thru the new build in the wall. This is a very small tube that releases pesticide I would presume thru slots or drip holes. The company that installs this will come back annually and add more pesticide, would be my guess.

I wanna learn more about this, but I was wondering if anybody has dealt with this. Does the house have a continuous smell in it" Does it damage any drywall, or the insulation if a slot or hole was to big (a defect). So what are the pros and cons here with this set up? Would it work for carpenter ants and spiders?
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Termite Prevention and others

In New York State that system would be illegal. You may not treat unless there are signs of an active infestation. It is my understanding that when dealing with termites the injected chemicals don't kill the termites it only causes them to go someplace else and build a nest. The only exception that I know of is you may treat with sprayed-on borax for prevention of powder post beetles. I would be concerned about ground water contamination with a continuous chemical drip especially if a well was the water supply. In New York wells must be a minimum of 50 feet away from any area treated for termites.

As far as I know re carpenter ants, I have always been told remove the source of moisture and the ants will leave. I once had them in a sliding closet door in my bedroom. No moisture there, so how salient the advice is I don't know.

We had something at the yacht club that was called Spider Be Gone, or something like that, came in a spray can. Spiders love to be around water because of the number of insects there. A quick spray from the can and no more spiders around the docks for weeks. Worked well.
    Last edited by Tom W; 06-21-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Yet, I have read that this is being installed down south. I just couldn't understand how a pesticide can be used in a continuous fashion. Especially where there are children in a home. But I also thought that the concept was pretty cool and for all I know, it may not even be a pesticide but something else. I'll do my investigation on the internet tomorrow and learn more....

Thanks Tom.......... Mark
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Well I did find this, nicely explained. But I just cannot figure out, how can it be effective when wall cavities are packed with insulation. The insulation would soak up the pesticide, thus preventing it from spreading out and downwards.

So it is not a drip line or a continuous flow of pesticide. Sure this would work pretty darn good for interior walls, but exterior walls, I'm still scratching my head on this one. Unless the plastic tubing is laid out down at the bottom plate of the wall structure. I'm trying to find a diagram/drawing as to how this is laid out during construction. I cannot find one, at this moment. I'll look again later on....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4944110.html

Comment

Working...
        X