Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing the roof deck - what material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing the roof deck - what material?

The same advice for buying tools probably applies, buy the best you can afford. If you gotta replace the roof and you are strapped for cash double up the osb (cringing as I suggest this) BUT if you can afford it definately rip and replace with 3/4" T&G, 2 layers of #15 felt with a generous overlap and a high quality (30 year) composite shingle. Now that is a roof you can sleep restfully underneath.

Comment

30lb felt, ice and water up the roof so your past the inside of your exterior wall by 6' (in my area), and I will never use less then 35yr Architectural Shingles. I'd rather be at the 50yr warranty. I personally will not do a roof under 35yr warranty shingles, not in MN. I do wholeheartedly prefer Architectural Shingles over 3 tab shingles and 100% of my jobs now are with Architectural Shingles....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager
        I understand going for 35 yr shingles but why architectural shingles? I thought that was just an 'look' and had no functional value.
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
          Garager
          I understand going for 35 yr shingles but why architectural shingles? I thought that was just an 'look' and had no functional value.
          Andrew
          No functional value, I think you need to pick one up someday and take a good look at how they are made. Also, they go up real nicely....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
          X