Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the roof deck - what material?

What thickness and grade of plywood or OSB should be used for my roof decking? I own a bungalow that was built in 1960. My 25 year shingles have just about fried off (in 14 years) and every time I go up there to check things out the roofing plywood is so weak I think I am going to end up in the living room. The boards are not rotten, they are just too thin or too weak or both. I have decided to replace the roof, plywood, shingles and all. Is there any advantage to using plywood over OSB? Will I get better cost vs performance with OSB?
    thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Replacing the roof deck - what material?

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
    What thickness and grade of plywood or OSB should be used for my roof decking? I own a bungalow that was built in 1960. My 25 year shingles have just about fried off (in 14 years) and every time I go up there to check things out the roofing plywood is so weak I think I am going to end up in the living room. The boards are not rotten, they are just too thin or too weak or both. I have decided to replace the roof, plywood, shingles and all. Is there any advantage to using plywood over OSB? Will I get better cost vs performance with OSB?
    thanks,
    Andrew
    3/4 inch plywood is the way to go. Some guys even use rough lumber planks but the danger is the dry out phase which could cause them to shrink quite a bit.

OSB is cheaper, but watch it go to mush if it gets wet.

Depending on how long you are planning on staying, a metal shingle roof might be a more economical route in the long run.

Don't skimp on your sheathing. And don't go thinner than 3/4 inch....
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Forgot to mention.....check your rafter ends as well for weakness. I would assume in 1960 the deck was rough boards - should be at least 3/4 inch, maybe they were only 1/2 inch. In any case....spongy = BAD.

Comment

I too, like to use 3/4, I hate OSB, but I'm forced to use it due to the cost factor. I have seen many companies go to 1/2"(Fools!!!), but I would never do this. Tinman says 3/4" plywood and I agree...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          I too, like to use 3/4, I hate OSB, but I'm forced to use it due to the cost factor. I have seen many companies go to 1/2"(Fools!!!), but I would never do this. Tinman says 3/4" plywood and I agree...
          Exactly....tongue and groove 3/4 inch is the ultimate, then 3/4 standard after that. I understand though, that most stuff being built today is using OSB - it is to code after all. Watch any renovation show and they're all using OSB.

Just makes me wince every time I drive by a house being built and the rain is smashing down on the OSB on the roof and walls. It's OK if you're gonna sell at a profit in a few years.....not so much if you're gonna plan to retire there. If I was flipping a house for quick sale I'd be all over it. As far as my own place though.........not so much.

As you noted, Garager, 1/2 inch anything is for fools even 5/8.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Tinmack and Garager!

Andrew

Comment

If you're redoing a roof and it has old plywood (looks to be at best 1/2 inch) would laying another 1/2 inch on top help stiffen everything up or should the original be removed and new 3/4 inch layed down?

Comment

Interesting suggestion. I don't think it will be equivalent to 1" of plywood but it may be as effective (and less expensive) than tearing out the existing plywood and installing 3/4". I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about this.
                Andrew

Comment

I have added more decking material on many occasions. But before anyone is to do this, you must look at your rafters/trusses to make darn sure you can do this. Remember, someone else will eventually own the home you are living in.

I don't know about all of the states, but for MN. you can have up to 3 layers of asphalt on your roof. Think about all this weight, grant it, it is a distributed weight, but never the less that's a lot.

As long as you hit/nail a rafter under the first layer of plywood, when applying the new decking. Your roof will be very strong. But if you have rot anywhere on that roof and your just covering it up, well that's not good.

About the only time I do add a decking over an existing one is due to gaps between boards. The old days, they used 1"x 6"-8"-10"-12"-14" and there was 1"-2" gaps between each row. Then some boards cracked to much, or lost a huge knot, etc. And usually this will also have me in the attic putting up bracing in some areas, because I added another layer of decking.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have added more decking material on many occasions. But before anyone is to do this, you must look at your rafters/trusses to make darn sure you can do this. Remember, someone else will eventually own the home you are living in.

I don't know about all of the states, but for MN. you can have up to 3 layers of asphalt on your roof. Think about all this weight, grant it, it is a distributed weight, but never the less that's a lot.

As long as you hit/nail a rafter under the first layer of plywood, when applying the new decking. Your roof will be very strong. But if you have rot anywhere on that roof and your just covering it up, well that's not good.

About the only time I do add a decking over an existing one is due to gaps between boards. The old days, they used 1"x 6"-8"-10"-12"-14" and there was 1"-2" gaps between each row. Then some boards cracked to much, or lost a huge knot, etc. And usually this will also have me in the attic putting up bracing in some areas, because I added another layer of decking.
                    Does adding another layer of 1/2" plywood onto existing 1/2" OSB apply to factory manufactured trusses? The reason I ask is these trusses are basically 2"x 4" and whether they can handle this load?

Comment

First off, I'm not an engineer, but manufactured trusses are more than likely able to handle this weight. Most trusses are made from 2"x 4"s, its the design of them which makes them strong. If you already have only a 1/2" decking, adding another 1/2" shouldn't affect the design load. The pitch of your roof has a big factor involved too. A 4/12 pitch can sag in your roof easier then a 8/12 pitch. But whoever designed those trusses, takes all that into consideration. Once again I wouldn't worry. What kind of attic ventilation does your home have??????

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                        Does adding another layer of 1/2" plywood onto existing 1/2" OSB apply to factory manufactured trusses? The reason I ask is these trusses are basically 2"x 4" and whether they can handle this load?
                        I'm not an engineer or carpenter by any means, but I've always noted in various places the thing about wood needing to breathe. Therefore, I'm not sure stacking sheathing on top is such a good idea without taking ventilation into consideration. As well, plywood and OSB both swell/contract at different rates when moisture/heat/humidity is factored in, so I don't think stacking different sheathing may be such a good idea. Then again, if you're not in a snow region it's probably a moot point. If you've got OSB now, and you want to stack another 1/2 inch on it, I'd stick with OSB. Myself though, if the budget allowed for it, would strip off the OSB and replace with 3/4 inch plywood. That's just my opinion though, based on what little experience I have in the home renovation game.

Comment

First off, I'm not an engineer, but manufactured trusses are more than likely able to handle this weight. Most trusses are made from 2"x 4"s, its the design of them which makes them strong. If you already have only a 1/2" decking, adding another 1/2" shouldn't affect the design load. The pitch of your roof has a big factor involved too. A 4/12 pitch can sag in your roof easier then a 8/12 pitch. But whoever designed those trusses, takes all that into consideration. Once again I wouldn't worry. What kind of attic ventilation does your home have??????
                          Thanks, the resale values of these 4500+ sf homes are embarrassingly high yet the materials used during construction would make you (custom builder) cringe. 1/2" OSB roof and 1/2" fiber board for walls on 2x4 walls. Energy efficient, meets building codes but no need for kicking in the doors just use a cordless black+decker saw to break in. Got dogs + perimeter defense system + glock (kidding)
                          Any way the ventilation is ridge + Soffit vents system.
                          Last edited by reConx; 06-28-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                            Thanks, the resale values of these 4500+ sf homes are embarrassingly high yet the materials used during construction would make you (custom builder) cringe. 1/2" OSB roof and 1/2" fiber board for walls on 2x4 walls. Energy efficient, meets building codes but no need for kicking in the doors just use a cordless black+decker saw to break in. Got dogs + perimeter defense system + glock (kidding)
                            Any way the ventilation is ridge + Soffit vents system.

Looks like you're as ventilated as you can get. I've seen insulation jammed into the soffit venting in the attic sometimes, though, so you might want to keep an eye on that if you're doing some renovations. Keep those soffit vents clear or you'll have moisture problems.

Comment

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
                              thanks,
                              Andrew
                              Magnesium fireproof Board (usually called magnesium oxide board) is combined system of MgO, MgCl2 and H2O alkali agent.The stable magnesium colloid is reinforced by middle alkali glass fiber net and stuffed by light material then becomes new frameless decorative material. It has the features of light quality,strong intensity, little contraction, easy constructing. Especially the unique waterproof, fireproof, corrosion proof and plasticity are better than normally used wooden multisplint, paper surface plaster board etc.

Magnesium oxide board which takes magnesia material as its main material, uses alkali-resistant Fiberglass mesh as strengthening material take light material as its filler, which compounded with the above three kinds of materials under the non water-in process, it is a kind of new green and environmental protection board with fireproof and moisture resistant ability.

Item: magnesium oxide board/mgo board
                              Size: 915x1830mm,1220x2440mm, 1220mmx2745mm, 1220mmx3050mm, 1220mmx3660mm
                              Thickness : 3mm-22mm.

MGO board is a ideal material to instead of plywood.

www.goldenlam.com

Comment

Working...
                              X