Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Glass Tile

Hello,

I am looking to understand how to cut glass tile. I will be purchasing a pattern of individual glass pieces (ranging in size from 0.5in to 3in) on a sheet. The two issues I have are:
    - will the glass shatter ( are glass tiles tempered
    - how to stabilize the individual tiles so they just don't rip of the backing

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Last edited by cory7; 06-22-2008, 10:44 PM. Reason: format errors
    Help me make Wishes Come True!
    Support the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Re: Cutting Glass Tile

I would think jsut a good glass cutter, would do, but I am not exactly sure what your wanting to do, ( I do not total picture what is meant by Glass tile, and what is meant by backing),

there are tile cutters that are basically a glass cutter in a special frame for cutting ceramic tile,

but if it is glass (as in stained glass or window type) (I used a oil feed glass cutter on stain glass), depending on thickness you may need to score both sides, (do not run the cutter on a score or it will dull the cutter),

if it tempered type of safety glass you can not score cut it it will shatter when you try to snap it, you may be able to diamond band saw it, but I would not count on it.

I would probly call the dealer or the manufacture for better information on how to work with it, do they have a web site?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If I understand correctly you are trying to cut glass tile sheets that have a mesh backing. Normally a wet saw is the best way to cut them. But, dry the backing with a towel right after you cut it, or the adhesive holding the tiles to the mesh will release.

Comment

I agree with Newman....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

put tile spacers in the joint to help stabilize the tile sections if you're going to keep them in the sheet while using a wet saw.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Here is a sample of the tile that I will need to cut.

I plan on cutting the tile with a wetsaw however as you can see these pieces don't cover much of the mesh and I am thinking that as I cut, the pieces are going to come off. Rick I like the idea of using tile spacers to provide more support. I may use some sort of tape to wrap around the area that I will be cutting.

Chuck

Comment

never saw any thing like it,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Are you making mosaics? My mom use to use a special glass cutting tool for it. I can probably dig it up and take a photo if that is what you are doing.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Hello,

The picture of the glass tile that I posted (small sample of complete sheet) is on a mesh and it is setup in an interlocking fashion so that I can mate it to additional sheets. I need to be able to get a clean straight cut at the borders. I would be interested to see the tool that your mom used.

Thanks,
                  Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by cory7 View Post
                    Hello,

The picture of the glass tile that I posted (small sample of complete sheet) is on a mesh and it is setup in an interlocking fashion so that I can mate it to additional sheets. I need to be able to get a clean straight cut at the borders. I would be interested to see the tool that your mom used.

Thanks,
                    Chuck
                    Ok. Give me a day or 2
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Looks to me like your best bet would be a combination, like plumberick said use spacers and like you said tape it. Use a strong tape i.e. duct tape and then after install you can clean off any glue residue using goof off or a similar product. Duct tape will give you a nice straight edge guide to cut if you apply it carefully and couple with the spacers will hold the tile firmly together although it looks like you will have to custom make the spacers to fill the various sized voids.

Comment

Working...
                      X