Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Sealer

Hello,

Does anyone have some suggestions on the need for brick sealer and the type to use. I plan on re-doing the shingling around my chimney and clean up the flashing. While cleaning the flashing I have heard about brick sealer and was wondering if it was even needed and if I used it on part of the exterior brick would I have a mismatch in color to the untreated brick.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Help me make Wishes Come True!
    Support the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Re: Brick Sealer

Hey Cory, this is the product I have been using for years. Go ahead and google it and do your reading and I'm sure you can find this in your area, because I do believe they are top dog in this market....

"Chimney Saver"
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks Garager!

This product is like Drylock for the chimeny. Do you typically just apply this to the chimney above the roofline? The company claims a non glossy finish, can you tell which area has been covered during a dry day and is it more noticble when it is raining?

Thanks,
      Chuck
      Help me make Wishes Come True!
      Support the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Comment

If your wondering whether you are constantly over lapping, not to worry. Get as much as you can on the chimney with the first coat (I apply 2 coats). You will know if your over lapping. The least amount of moisture in the chimney is the best time, so it can absorb the product. Second coat, becarefull if you apply to much it'll be running on down the roof, which can't hurt the roof anyhow.

Yes above the roof line. If you need to use it inside the home, then you got a leak that shouldn't be going on. Check your chimney cap, if its cement cap, look for breakage and cracks. Also look at your mortar joints, if they are missing chunks or disintegrating you got problems there too. If these thing are happening, you need to fix your problem, before you apply your sealer.....

If you need advice on how to look at these problems and how to fix them, then my advice is, to find a professional Masonry company....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Last fall we did what Garager has suggested for you. We hired a mason who specialized in chimney repair. He took the bricks off the flue above the roof, re-layed them and poured a new cap - $700.00 - money well spent. Could I have done it? Probably. But this guy knew how much coloring to add to the mortar so that the new mortar color is a good match to the old mortar. I doubt I would have been able to make the color match without a lot of fuss. The chimney repair looks great. You have to look hard to see the repair because the mortar color matches so closely.

Tom

Comment

Good morning Tom.... I'm getting ready to play 36 holes of golf. Its been a while since I"ve had fun. I'm heading to Floodwood MN, about 1 1/2-2 hrs away, hooking up with some buddies there. I know I shouldn't be taking today off, but its been sooooo long since the last time I have played... Have fun working everyone....

Comment

Garager,

Glad to hear you are playing hookey for the day. After your health problems and studying you deserve a mental health day.

To make you feel a little better; I started with a couple other guys putting in and repairing tears in silt fence. This site is almost completely clay and it has rained here on and off over the weekend - guess what the outside of my boots looked like and how tired my legs felt after the second step. Fortunately we ran out of silt fence about 1:00 PM. We were all a muddy mess. Next we had to mulch about seven acres, according to Environmental Dept. we can only have 23 acres open at a time and we were seven acres over, but fortunately the trailer was emptied on Friday so we were laughing to ourselves and thinking we would get to go home early. Well... just then the new trailer full of hay arrived. UGH! So we sprayed mulch hay until 4:00PM. Now the mud had dried on us and we were also covered with hay chaff. We laugh about it because it is just part of the game but I am sure your day on the golf course was more fun.

Tom

Comment

Yes, my day at the course was much better than your day at work.

Comment

Working...
                X