Adding bathroom to second floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding bathroom to second floor

My wife and I are thinking of adding a bathroom to our second floor. There are two bedrooms up there now but no bathroom. The house was built in 1932. We will need to build a dormer to accomadate the new bathroom. One of my concerns surrounds the existing framing and if I will need to beef it up to carry the load of a tub.

What else would you take into consideration?

Re: Adding bathroom to second floor

Beef up by doubling up the floor joist at the inner tub wall, parallel w/the tub . I like to get those joists right there, not inches away. Make sure no joist is where your plumbing drain is. What kind of tub are you going with, fiberglass? Inner tub wall is the one side thats facing towards the center of the room......

To bad you don't live closer, might of given you a bid on your project. Hows the weather down there? We actually hit 87* for the first time this year, way to hot for me. Good luck w/your project. Give a howl if you need advice, I'm usually bored at night time or really early in the morning.....
    Last edited by garager; 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Beef it up like Garager offers, but consider the tub weight plus a full water load. If a tub can hold 100 gallons of water that is 800 lbs. No light load. Then consider all the other fixtures. I'd also have an exterminator check the existing joists for any insect damage and I would look for dry and wet rot. One thing I have seen done on old structures is taking a level to the ceiling directly below the renovation before starting. Using a helper pull the level to plumb and measure the gap at the end no longer touching the ceiling. Mark where you measured. Then place 1000 lbs on the floor where the tub/fixtures will be. Now go back down and put that level back on the ceiling... get the same bubble reading and measure again. Same distance you're good. 1/8" deflection you are in trouble and should consider load bearing members spanning the walls. You said dormer, will the tub rest very near an exterior wall or on an interior wall? Exterior is usally strongest in old building. It makes a big difference. Just things to consider.....

Comment

waterproof the floor and shower/ bath properly.
        moisture can cause big problems. rot, termites etc.

Comment

Dont forget about your plumbing penetrations. Far too often I have seen people cut away too much of framing members to allow for their plumbing. You may require additional studding downstairs or building a bulkhead to run the plumbing through.

Comment

Working...
          X