X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new gig

I've been hired on as the Project Manager for Help With Housing. Our group helps homeowners that have fallen on bad luck to keep their homes in a liveable, safe condition. It's amazing how an illness can wreck your finances! A lot of times, it's merely one bad decision or a bad illness that puts a family in bad shape. 80 yrs old, get cancer and lose a leg. Then see how well you do at putting a roof on. Can't afford to hire it, can't do it yourself, and so you live in a house with a leaky roof for a couple years. Things get worse and worse.

We go in and do a preliminary qualification and begin the bid process. I do a walkthrough and take pictures of the damage and work to be done, then write up and submit the bids to professionals. The work is done by the pro's at standard wages. The client gets a professional repair. Or they get the $6000 wheelchair-accessible bathroom they desperately need. We also do ramps and such.

My job is to do the initial inspection and write up the bid. We have limited funds, so each one has to be scrutinized carefully. I really like this group, and am proud to be a part of it. It's part-time so I'm still working my computer business, but it meshes with my skills of framing and such that I can write up a bid. I don't do the work, I just ensure the client gets what they need.

Anyway...just thought I'd let y'all know what was going on out here.

If there's any plumbers, roofers, framers that would like to be in my bid mailings, please PM me. I won't give any favorites, but I'll be happy to include you. All the work is in Clarke, Warren, Frederick and Winchester, VA.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: My new gig

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
    I've been hired on as the Project Manager for Help With Housing. Our group helps homeowners that have fallen on bad luck to keep their homes in a liveable, safe condition. It's amazing how an illness can wreck your finances! A lot of times, it's merely one bad decision or a bad illness that puts a family in bad shape. 80 yrs old, get cancer and lose a leg. Then see how well you do at putting a roof on. Can't afford to hire it, can't do it yourself, and so you live in a house with a leaky roof for a couple years. Things get worse and worse.

We go in and do a preliminary qualification and begin the bid process. I do a walkthrough and take pictures of the damage and work to be done, then write up and submit the bids to professionals. The work is done by the pro's at standard wages. The client gets a professional repair. Or they get the $6000 wheelchair-accessible bathroom they desperately need. We also do ramps and such.

My job is to do the initial inspection and write up the bid. We have limited funds, so each one has to be scrutinized carefully. I really like this group, and am proud to be a part of it. It's part-time so I'm still working my computer business, but it meshes with my skills of framing and such that I can write up a bid. I don't do the work, I just ensure the client gets what they need.

Anyway...just thought I'd let y'all know what was going on out here.

If there's any plumbers, roofers, framers that would like to be in my bid mailings, please PM me. I won't give any favorites, but I'll be happy to include you. All the work is in Clarke, Warren, Frederick and Winchester, VA.
    That sounds awesome! Talk about worthwhile work and something to be proud of. Congrats!

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Very nice Sandy, that is something to be proud of. Your to far for me to sign up anyhow congratulation.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

That is very admirable VaSandy!

Many people go through life thinking nothing will happen to them. One bad accident, or the development of a mental illness is all it takes.

I speak of personal experience as I have twin boys that are mentally and physically handicapped. It has affected us in ways I could not dream of.

I could go on about my experiences and how a organization like the one you will be working for helped us tremendously, but I won't. All I can say is I see life through different eyes, and life means more to me now.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
        X