X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyvek Question...Crazy?

Would it be crazy to put in Tyvek in a wet area? For example, behind the wallboard/tile of a shower. (I know not for the shower pan)
    Reason I ask is that it's close to waterproof one way while allowing moisture transference the other way.

Might help waterproof and at the same time eliminate sweating/keeping the framing dry.

Crazy?

J.C.

Re: Tyvek Question...Crazy?

No do not use it, Tyveck will shed water, but the water will still go thru Tyveck. Thats the concept you need to stay away from. When you water seal a wall, the only moisture in the wall should be from humidity and the new studs (if new). Any moisture from that point should evaporate thru the top plate and a little thru the other side of the wall...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

These are excellent products for waterproofing a shower

Comment

Tyvak is an air barrier not a water barrier

Comment

My understanding of Tyvek and similar products is that they are a semipermeable membrane allowing air/moisture transferance one way. I wasn't looking for it to be the waterproofing system but rather helping while allowing air exchange.

Just thinking.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X