X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Sill Bends

I'm replacing a rear entry door, the first project like this I've ever done. I took out the old door and installed the new door per the instructions. Everything looked fine until I stepped on the sill and noticed it bent under my weight.

The original door had a spacer atop the floor sheathing made of Hardy Board, which was probably a left over from the siding. I took it out and replaced it with a piece of half-inch plywood cut to fit between the studs and from the sheathing to the edge of the board on the outside base. Should I have made that filler piece wider to overhang the base plate and fully support the aluminum sill plate?

Re: Door Sill Bends

You should have a kick plate/board tucked up under the threshold snugged to it, unless the threshold is level with the platform, but not in your case apparently. It gives a meaning for kicking the dirt and mud off your boots as well as snow. This will protect your main body of the house and stops the threshold from "twisting downward". There should also be caulking under the threshold to stop any up and down motion when stepped on and any moisture trying to get in. All exterior doorways should have a kick plate, you could even dress up the wood kick plate with a brass plate screwed into it.

I usually run my kick board from the outside of the brick molding to the other side (1"x 6"), each ends I taper cut at a 15 degree angle. I'm going to draw a picture then scan it, I'll be back... Notice how the kick plate is tapered inwards at each end, it is more pleasing to look at then straight down....

Last edited by garager; 07-08-2008, 04:24 AM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager is probably right about the kick plate but you did not indicate the rise between the interior floor and the exterior. Will it allow a kickplate? Also you didn't note the width of the walls vs. the width of the threshold. Is it flexing just at the exterior end or in the middle? Did you level your spacer before you installed the door? Did you waterproof?

Comment

Garager's idea about the kick plate looks like the right answer for me. There is a drop of about 4 or 5 inches from the threshold to the deck that this door opens onto. Obviously there was no support for the previous door, but perhaps the metal threshold was of heavier guage metal. I'll pull the door out this weekend and replace the spacer with a wider board, and then support it with the kick plate. I did use silicon caulking on the first try, so I'll have to peel off all that stuff and put down new for weatherproofing. Thanks guys for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by BobMcCormick View Post
          Garager's idea about the kick plate looks like the right answer for me. There is a drop of about 4 or 5 inches from the threshold to the deck that this door opens onto. Obviously there was no support for the previous door, but perhaps the metal threshold was of heavier guage metal. I'll pull the door out this weekend and replace the spacer with a wider board, and then support it with the kick plate. I did use silicon caulking on the first try, so I'll have to peel off all that stuff and put down new for weatherproofing. Thanks guys for your help.
          No need to replace with a wider board under the threshold, just add the kick plate (board). Unless there's more to this situation, you will be fine. Just make sure you good and snugged under the metal threshold. The board should be touching the bottom of the brick molding....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

No, nothing more to it than I've already explained, but I will have to cut away some of the Hardyplank siding material just below the door. Unless you recommend pressure treated lumber, I have some poplar left over from another project that will fit the bill. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X