wood siding rotten

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood siding rotten

Bought a 58 yrs old house a year ago. The wood siding needs paint now. those siding wood with deck and close to the ground are rotten already. I can replace those wood but it wouldn't last long, I think. Is there a better way to fix this issue permanently? Saying using other material where water may reached. any better ideas?

Re: wood siding rotten

So I take it that this is lap siding, right???

You can go with a cementatious (sp?) lap siding, which holds paint real well and will never rot. But the face of the siding may not match well.

You could also go with cedar lap siding, which will probably match a lot better and will hold paint for some time before it will want to peel. Cedar siding works better with stain, but it will also handle paint. This wood will take many years before it will begin to rot....

Or you can find the identical siding, and paint all 6 sides, but start with a good primer first. This will give the boards a longer life by doing all 6 sides...

Be sure to use flashing behind the bottom row of siding above your deck, you need to divert any water away from the ledger board, which is the board that attaches to the house. If this rots out, your going to have big problems and it loves to attract bugs and they will eventually try to go into your home.

If your siding is a beveled lap siding, cedar is more likely your best answer for the right results. Good luck.

Hopefully your house sheathing isn't shot also. Don't forget to put a moisture barrier between house sheathing and siding, for a small area, I would use 30lb felt.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

here are some photos.

I don't know if it beveled lap siding or not.

My garage doesn't has basement. Its frame and siding touch the ground directly. What I can do to protect them being rotten?

thanks,
      Attached Files

Comment

That just looks like 4" bevel siding. I'd replace it w/ cedar & use 30# paper. Coat it w/ solid color stain.

On the garage, you can replace the lower siding w/ cement board, tape the joints, and stucco it. (with a water barrier behind the cement board)
        Last edited by savant; 07-09-2008, 01:01 PM.
        http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

Originally posted by savant View Post
          That just looks like 4" bevel siding. I'd replace it w/ cedar & use 30# paper. Coat it w/ solid color stain.

On the garage, you can replace the lower siding w/ cement board, tape the joints, and stucco it. (with a water barrier behind the cement board)
          Right on my friend....

Code is, no wooden siding/structure less than 6"s from ground. Your grandfathered in. But do as Savant said, do not forget to water seal behind your siding. Your other thread and this thread are of the same, if you don't have a clue as to how to jack up structures, then you better hire all this out.

You have a lot of damage going on and they tend to keep on traveling throughout.

Our state requires that all potential H.O.s to be notify of all structural problems and to be fixed either by new owner or present owner. You also have up to 10 years if anything was hidden and go after the old owners. Why did you buy this house, the offer was to hard to turn down????

Where was the building inspector before the sale?
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

first time home buyer. cannot afford better house here. I bought it with a lot price, I think. If I am not quickly enough, a builder might get it and a new house might be here already.

That inspector was not good enough. he only saw good things of this house. My wife wanted to save a little money and found a cheaper one. Then she agreeed with me this cheaper inspector was too cheap comparing with another expensive one we hired before. He even did not saw there was a big more than 3' long crack on the basement main stack (This house was waterized at that time). The crack was facing out!

thank you for your input. I will do my best to keep it last long enough. when we get enough money, we may build a new house or do a complete remodelling.
            Last edited by lmei007; 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savant View Post

Cannot find 4" cedar siding in Homedepot. theirs are 6". what I can do then? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                Cannot find 4" cedar siding in Homedepot. theirs are 6". what I can do then? thanks
                Try a lumber yard, they generally have a better selection and can order stuff for you.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                  6" is what you want, then over lap 2"s. Just make sure your thickness is the same. Also at the bottom row when you start to side your house, add a 1/2"-3/4" furring strip behind it (just the very bottom row only for the strip). This will kick out your row and will match the rest of the siding. When you tear off the bottom siding, you'll see what I'm talking about.....

Found a picture for you, look at the left side and at the bottom will be a furring strip, this is what you need to do....

Last edited by garager; 07-18-2008, 06:05 AM. Reason: Added more stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X