X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no vent fundation and moisture/termite issue

I have a ranch. The garage locates at one end of the house. There is no basement under the garage. It was built directly above the ground. There is a porch between the garage and the living area. The main building has a full basement. The fundation is poured concrete. There is also no basement under the porch and it was built on top of concrete blocks. The inspector told me there should have some vent openings on those concrete blocks otherwise the moisture inside will damage the wood of the porch.

As you can see from one photo, one of the porch bottom frame has already rotten.

Inside the garage, the bottom frame close to the porch has been damaged by moisture and termite already.

Now I am worry about the condition of the main building adjunt with the porch. I am afraid of the moisture or bugs will damage that part.

Is there a way to make vent openings on those concrete blocks? Or is there any better solutions?
    Attached Files

Re: no vent fundation and moisture/termite issue

rotten inside the porch close to the door.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lmei007; 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

damaged by termite and moisture inside the garage adjunct with the porch
      Attached Files

Comment

How much money do you wanna spend????

Ok first off, you can just bust out a block and add the vent, but before you do this you need to look at the bottom plate of your wall, thus requires some demolition, either from inside or outside. If the bottom plate is rotten and or full of bugs, I'm going to tell you to find a contractor.

I no longer build garages on top of slabs, we will run a row or 2 (preferably 2 high) then build our walls on top of the blocks.

If the bottom plate in garage is bad, this will require jacking up the garage and placing a new bottom plate all the way around, green treated of course. Anytime wood comes into contact with cement (even blocks) their must be a green treated lumber. You may even have to sister up your studs. This is the same procedure as your front porch will be, but you'll have to figure out whether you want to do it from the outside or the inside, my recommendation is from the inside...

Also your front porch should have a height clearance in the crawl space of 18" and a vent on each side, for cross ventilation. Also all of your floor joist need to be looked at and possibly sister up as well.

If your house is being attacked also, you can be looking at some serious dollars to get your situation under control.

When all is done, do not forget to hire a pest controller to remedy your home... Once the termites are there, they will not leave unless you kill them and remove all moisture problems..

Thanks for the pictures any more questions just ask. You know what, I don't have termites in my area, so call your pest controller now and get him/her to look at your place. They may wanna come in at the same time as your walls are open.... Good luck...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thank you, garager.

I will ask few contractors come to give me a quotation then. The pervious owner did termite treatment because I found many termite treatment wells around the building.

Comment

"...do not forget to hire a pest controller to remedy your home... Once the termites are there, they will not leave unless you kill them and remove all moisture problems.."

Garager, shouldn't this be done before repairs are started? You put it near the end of your list of fixes, but I am thinking you don't mean for it to be last.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              You know what, I don't have termites in my area, so call your pest controller now and get him/her to look at your place. They may wanna come in at the same time as your walls are open.... Good luck...
              We don't get any bugs that attacks our homes up here, well maybe a few carpenter ants. I am kinda of naive about pest control, other than what I have read or saw on TV. But I did change my mind and told him to call now...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
              X