X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIP's?

Does anyone have any experience with SIP (Structural Insulated Panel-I think) building? Pros-Cons, Companies, Tips? Thanks.

J.C.

Re: SIP's?

If you are talking about a 2"x6" box (4x8) with a styrofoam filler and a sheet of OSB on each side, I can give you a tip--STAY AWAY!! They are the biggest pain in the a** for all the trades. And once they are made, there is no changes. My 2 cents.

Comment

SIP's have always been seen as a problem w/the trades. In green building, SIP's are seen as a great thing as they use forestry products well (OSB) and provide the home with a well-insulated shell.

The problem is, the panels don't allow for putting in plumbing, electrical, ducting or anything else. Some are made with chases in the insulation for running electrical or plumbing, but those pieces have to be put in before the walls are really finished, as a lot of times you can't get where you need to to put in an elbow or whatever. Basically, using SIPs requires that you have all your plumbing and electrical runs planned in advance. Run your wires and pipes while you can get to the chases. It takes planning and a whole lot of coordination between the trades.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I saw the SIP panels on the Planet Green channel. Wherever the electrical guy needed a new chase he would heat up a 1 " ball bearing and drop it onto the styrofoam. In about 2 minutes it fell out of the bottom of the panel and made a perfect hole for the wires. Not sure the plumbing would be up through a wall this way, they didn't talk with the plumbers.

Maybe since it is a green program, they don't need any plumbing since they want to recycle everything, and I mean everything!!

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
          I saw the SIP panels on the Planet Green channel. Wherever the electrical guy needed a new chase he would heat up a 1 " ball bearing and drop it onto the styrofoam. In about 2 minutes it fell out of the bottom of the panel and made a perfect hole for the wires. Not sure the plumbing would be up through a wall this way, they didn't talk with the plumbers.

Maybe since it is a green program, they don't need any plumbing since they want to recycle everything, and I mean everything!!
          that sounds pretty cool! it would probably work that way with pex too i would imagine
          Last edited by wrench spinner; 07-14-2008, 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post

The ones I have seen had a 2x6 plate on the bottom--did the ball bearing burn through that, too?

Comment

OK, I'm going to chime in here now. This is what I think of this product.....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Does anyone have any experience with SIP (Structural Insulated Panel-I think) building? Pros-Cons, Companies, Tips? Thanks.

J.C.
                Many others have commented on the pluses and minuses of this building method. I would agree that the trades would have issues due to all the reasons already stated. Since we work extensively rehabing old houses (19th century) hassles are an every day occurance, there for it might not be so much.
                I helped a friend DIYer build a 48'x24' workshop from a kit of this stuff. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer who was located in Washington state. Could find it if necessary. My impression was that the manufacure of the panels was high quality. All the pieces were shipped correctly and the assembly instructions were clear and accurate. The two of us started from a poured concrete slab with the bottom plates bolted down and with the help of a rented fork lift had it up and Tyvek'd and roof felted in 5 days. The panels had chases cut in them so electrical and plumbing went very easy.
                Of course this was a shop building not a house.
                In closing I was very impressed with how tight this thing is. On a 90 degree day if the doors are kept closed it will hold a temp in the 70s inside.
                Last edited by roadrashray; 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM.

Comment

J.C.
                  I did one last year, it wasn't that bad. The only foam I had to go through was when I pushed vents, and there was 12 inches of it. Everything else came through the floor in the interior walls. When the electrician came to do his thing, they gave him a burning iron for the foam, thats when I left, the smoke and smell was too much.
                  The Other Rick

Comment

Sounds like you would be better off if you have a "normal" house to just put in icynene.

Would you get similar R-factors with icynene?

J.C.

Comment

ICF(Insulated Concrete Form) with Icynene in the attic would be pretty energy efficient. Slap a metal roof on the top and you're off to the energy saving races.
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Although if the structure is existing, I have heard great things about using icynene on existing structures. Blow back test(I think) is what they use to gauge how energy efficient the structure is.
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

JC,
                          Try this out www.pbssips.com or Premire Building Systems should answer all your questions. I'm thinking about putting one of these up on my lot, mostly because the walls and roof go up in one day, I might have to put this one up fast.
                          The Other Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick. All types of new systems as well as traditional systems interest me.

The last time I saw a metal roof system on a house it was about 5" thick with OSB, insulation, barriers etc.

Is this the typical new way of doing it for insulating/sweating?

J.C.

Comment

Thanks Rick. All types of new systems as well as traditional systems interest me.

The last time I saw a metal roof system on a house it was about 5" thick with OSB, insulation, barriers etc.

Is this the typical new way of doing it for insulating/sweating?

J.C.
                              I'm always looking for alternative ways to do things, especially water conservation, since its a big issue up here and has been for years. My lot failed a perk test over twenty years ago, 7 years into drought conditions could work in my favor, and a sip house could expedite the building process. Thats going to be part of my retirement some day.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X