X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Least Maintenance

2" poly pipe with 1" pex and armorflex underground! No digging if you ever need to replace just pull it out. that armorflex will hold it center of the pipe!

Comment

Garager, you mention alot of steel trim on fascia etc.

Do you mean metal covered? If not, what companies? Anyone tried the Tiger Foam products? Comparable R-Values to icenyne or is it the exact same?

P.S. I'm a little surprised a plumber hasn't chimed in for a metal prison toilet.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Garager, you mention alot of steel trim on fascia etc.

Do you mean metal covered? If not, what companies? Anyone tried the Tiger Foam products? Comparable R-Values to icenyne or is it the exact same?

P.S. I'm a little surprised a plumber hasn't chimed in for a metal prison toilet.

J.C.
        I'm more worried about them hijacking this thread...

2x6 wood fascia w/metal, not wrapped just front look. As long as your roof doesn't leak, that should last for more than 100 years.

Once again, I haven't studied the Tiger Foam, so I can't give you a difference, if there is one....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hardiboard the whole bathroom?

Metal studs here, or treated lumber? Once again, looking for longterm with least maintenance.

Thanks again to all replies.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
            Those are only found in prisons and you specifically said you didn't want it to look like a prison. So, they were smart enough to read directions and not suggest it.. . .or they didn't see the thread
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

If you don't want to go the plaster route check your local suppliers for a drywall product we call impact board, we used it a lot on northern arena change rooms. This is tough stuff. If your tenents try punching holes in the walls they will be breaking a few knuckles.

Comment

Hardiboard the whole bathroom?

Metal studs here, or treated lumber? Once again, looking for longterm with least maintenance.

Thanks again to all replies.

J.C.
                And can you get a finished look to Hardiboard?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  I'm more worried about them hijacking this thread...
                  That's a great idea I think I'll do that

2x6 wood fascia w/metal, not wrapped just front look. As long as your roof doesn't leak, that should last for more than 100 years.

My wood wrapped facia lasted only 10 years

Once again, I haven't studied the Tiger Foam, so I can't give you a difference, if there is one....
                  I'm having new siding put on my house this week. I had to hire someone local. Garager's bid came in way over budget

Using all low maintenance materials. James Hardie cedar style planks on 1st level. Hardie Colorplus shingles for 2nd level. All Azek trim on doors and windows. Vinyl over aluminium railings. Azek facia and frieze board. Hardie soffit covers. AND NO MORE GUTTERS! Last years deck was composite material (Geodeck) Almost bought a copper roof a few years ago but just couldn't talk the wife into it. She thought the rain would keep her up at night.

When I had the basement dug out we installed a continuous plastic liner 4' up the block wall on the inside to capture any seepage through the old block wall and channel it into the drain tile.

Comment

Just curious, why the opposition to gutters? I've seen places with them and I've seen places without them. Just wondering why you are opposed to them?

J.C.

Comment

I'm 100% dead against gutters myself, that is if you live in a climate that will cause an ice build up. Gutters will rot out fascias,soffits, rafter tails and roofs, damage asphalt shingles, because of the ice build up. They will also sag or break away from the weight of the ice. Summer time they are great, to keep the water away from the foundation. If only we could take them down easily enough in the winter time.

Hope your rafter tails are perfectly cut P.C., or you'll see the wave....

Sorry my bid was too high, I'm trying real hard to reach the Plumbers scale and to no success I may add....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I'm also going to add one more thing about the gutters. When it comes to maintenance time for new paint, rarely will you see a painter take them down or a Home Owner and paint behind the gutters, then hang them back up. Water will still get between the gutter and fascia and start rotting out the fascia because it doesn't dry out very well.

Even w/drip edge on the edge of your roof, water will still get on the fascia board. Water loves to curl back at edges, there was a reason for old windows with a grove the size of a blade with. This grove ran the width of the window sill about a 1/2" in, water curls and hits this grove and drips off, never to get behind the siding. Sometimes the old designs were the best thing. But people would fill in this grove with lots of paint and the water would curl and get behind the siding. Most people don't understand about the grove and the reason behind it.... The End..... ....... Mark

Comment

I've had 3 different sets of gutters on this house and ALL of them stop up within a few weeks of cleaning. We are not heavily wooded here either but it seems that at any given point doing the year there is a tree nearby that is dropping something. Whether it's leaves, nuts, stickerballs, some sort of twig that has green bean looking things on them, helocopters thingys.

I can't get a thing to grow 6" in my garden but that gutter plant is nearly 3 feet tall. My gutter cleaning company dropped me!

The house didn't have any gutters when it was built 100 years ago and it looks better without them, honestly. I'll live with the drip line as long as I don't have to climb a 40' ladder.

There! I feel better now Thanks JC

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I've had 3 different sets of gutters on this house and ALL of them stop up within a few weeks of cleaning. We are not heavily wooded here either but it seems that at any given point doing the year there is a tree nearby that is dropping something. Whether it's leaves, nuts, stickerballs, some sort of twig that has green bean looking things on them, helocopters thingys.

I can't get a thing to grow 6" in my garden but that gutter plant is nearly 3 feet tall. My gutter cleaning company dropped me!

The house didn't have any gutters when it was built 100 years ago and it looks better without them, honestly. I'll live with the drip line as long as I don't have to climb a 40' ladder.

There! I feel better now Thanks JC
                            And that too!!!!!

Comment

If you have a low point on the lot/building site, you should be able to control rainwater with draintile, right?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                                Hydro Air is a small like 3 section boiler that heats the water in a heat exchanger then goes into a traditional cental HVAC system
                                Why hydro air instead of just a regular hydronic system?

Comment

Working...
                                X