X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Least Maintenance

Thinking about the hard plaster walls, there are a bunch of people who like to put OSB up in their shop behind the drywall. Lets you sink a screw anywhere. The plaster/impact board got me thinking about this, it would be pretty hard to punch through it, but of course you could still dent it up pretty well. I would be a bit worried about fire codes though.

Comment

I'm not sure if it would effect fire codes negatively. While the OSB would be in the wall and flammable, you still have your drywall barrier. And you can still finish the interior with paneling with no drywall. I'll have to inquire the fireman and inspectors I know.

Why not just finished sided plywood with paint?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I'm not sure if it would effect fire codes negatively. While the OSB would be in the wall and flammable, you still have your drywall barrier. And you can still finish the interior with paneling with no drywall. I'll have to inquire the fireman and inspectors I know.

Why not just finished sided plywood with paint?

J.C.
        I would guess cost. If I remember correctly, OSB is ~$6/sheet, drywall is $5/sheet and plywood starts at $15/sheet even for really crappy looking CDX stuff.

Comment

That's a good point. I'll have to price what guys get to hang/finish drywall around here. I know my limitations.

J.C.

Comment

That's a good point. I'll have to price what guys get to hang/finish drywall around here. I know my limitations.

J.C.
            One advantage of the OSB is that it makes hanging the drywall a piece of cake, because you don't need to hit a stud while screwing it in.

I don't know if I would try to tape/finish the drywall; but would probably have a go at putting it up. Taping/sanding right is really an art that I haven't yet mastered and wouldn't want to for a whole house.

Comment

Putting OSB behind drywall could cause seam troubles. OSB expands and contracts alot, this is why there must be an 1/8" gap between sheathing. Because of the movement, this could cause cracks in the jointed area.

Your also dealing with window jams and door jams, you'll have to take that extra 1/2" into consideration. This also includes all interior doors. Manufacturers sells their products in proper dimensions, you need to remember this....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you have a low point on the lot/building site, you should be able to control rainwater with draintile, right?

J.C.
                If the foundation is water proofed very well and the perimeter of the foundation is back filled correctly, and drain tiles installed. Yes this should do the job, but over a period of time, all things will start to fail. It could be many many years before the drain tiles get plugged up, be sure to get the the drain tiles that have the sock on it....

Being that this will be a rental unit, I'm guessing it might be of some larger size of a structure, there could be 2 sump pits involved if there is a basement involved.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  I'm 100% dead against gutters myself, that is if you live in a climate that will cause an ice build up. Gutters will rot out fascias,soffits, rafter tails and roofs, damage asphalt shingles, because of the ice build up. They will also sag or break away from the weight of the ice. Summer time they are great, to keep the water away from the foundation. If only we could take them down easily enough in the winter time.

Hope your rafter tails are perfectly cut P.C., or you'll see the wave....

You are right, sir. My old house shows that issue to me and it is very bad now. The fascias is rotten already and I am looking for a solution now.

Comment

I would suggest a properly poured and reinforced concrete basement wall over a block wall and then the proper water proofing treatments, and proper drainage,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!! when everything is done properly it will last the longest!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        I would suggest a properly poured and reinforced concrete basement wall over a block wall and then the proper water proofing treatments, and proper drainage,
                        I was waiting for this one....

Comment

Working...
                        X