Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheelchair ramp

Hello forum!

I am looking for some plans on making a wheelchair access ramp. Anyone know where I can get some for free? Anyone ever built one and have photos? Would love to see or hear what you all got to say or show.

Thanks!

Re: wheelchair ramp

http://www.ada.gov/stdspdf.htm (92 pages)

This document sets guidelines for accessibility
    to places of public accommodation and
    commercial facilities by individuals with
    disabilities. These guidelines are to be applied
    during the design, construction, and alteration
    of such buildings and facilities to the
    extent required by regulations issued by
    Federal agencies, including the Department of
    Justice, under the Americans with Disabilities
    Act of 1990.
    The technical specifications 4.2 through 4.35,
    of these guidelines are the same as those of
    the American National Standard Institute’s
    document A117.1-1980, except as noted in this
    text by italics. However, sections 4.1.1 through
    4.1.7 and sections 5 through 10 are different
    from ANSI A117.1 in their entirety and are
    printed in standard type.
    The illustrations and text of ANSI A117.1 are
    reproduced with permission from the American
    National Standards Institute. Copies of
    the standard may be purchased from the
    American National Standards Institute at
    1430 Broadway, New York, New York 10018.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
      Hello forum!

I am looking for some plans on making a wheelchair access ramp. Anyone know where I can get some for free? Anyone ever built one and have photos? Would love to see or hear what you all got to say or show.

Thanks!
      Do you have more information on where it will be built and for what elevation? Perhaps a little info on the rise and run of the ramp? I had to spend a couple of months in a wheel chair and over saw my youngest son while he built my ramp but it was built as a temporary ramp.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It is in a residential application so I am not strictly bound by the ADA requirements. The rise is 13" and the existing deck is 19'. However 4' are consumed by the existing entry stairs. My plan was to build a 10' long ramp 4' wide parralel to the deck ending in a 5'x5' level platform at the height of the existing deck. This would be approximatel a 10% grade as opposed to the 8.3% mandated by the ADA. The user will always be assisted (pushed) up the ramp. My question is mostly geared towards specific framing and railing designs. Post pier size and depth etc.

Thanks for replies

Comment

The design seems to be the toughest part. I believe Home Depot has free deck design and layout and will give you a materials list.

You mentioned not keeping up to code because of it being a residential application and the person will always be pushed up.

I have twin boys who are both in wheelchairs. I also designed my deck and did not build it to code because I knew my wife and I would always be pushing them up the ramp. This mistake has cost me time, money and a accident.

This summer I am removing my entire deck and building it to code. Not only is it more difficult to push my boys up the ramp due to them getting bigger, snow and ice issues have also caused me problems because my slope was not 1 to 12. One issue that I overlooked by not having the correct slope was taking them down the ramp. When that ramp is too steep and it has rain, snow ice, or dirt you will not have the ability to control the wheelchair or yourself their by injuring yourselves just by going down the ramp.

I also looking into moving and the ramp not being code was brought up as a problem.

I know wheelchair ramps are not pleasing to the eye, believe me I know. But take it from me just do it right.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I read recently that wheelchair ramp are 1:20 and if the ramp falls between 1:20 and 1:12 it needs handrails.

Comment

when my sons girlfriend, daughter had a stroke, (she had a kidney defect at birth), and was wheel chair bound, we made a compressed air chair lift, (hydraulic would have been better, we need to put a stop on it to come up to and continue to Pressurize it to get the spring out of the platform,
              You pushed her on a platform and pushed the lever the cylinder would pressurize and lift the chair to deck height and then roll off on the deck,

the lever was reachable from the ground or the deck regardless of the position of the lift,

it was similar to a table lift but with railings, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0372_200330372
              and the sides were fenced in so if it was up there was not a chance of some one or thing, crawling under it, the front we had a canvas to make a flexible barrier, also it normally stored in the down position.

since they were living in a trailer park at the time a winding ramp was not really feasible, as the distance would have been a long distance for the height needed.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My preference would be to build it to ADA standards, unfortunately space prohibits anything longer or making switchbacks. The only place I could maybe add a little length is by making my landing platform 4' instead of 5'. This would get me another foot but I would still only be at 11' instead of the 13' required by ADA. I already intended on building handrails on both sides, also we dont get snow and almost never get mornings cold enough to put a little iciness on the ramp. It is in Santa Rosa CA just about 45 miles north of San Francisco. I am still just looking for a diagram of some sort that shows me how a ramp would be framed. My intent was to set posts that would extend up to be used for the railing as well as the ramp support, then carriage bolt through the 4x4 post into 2x6 set on an angle equivalent to the slope. The posts would be set every 5' and on both sides.

Comment

Scroll down and you'll find pictures in this PDF link, your welcome ...... And good luck on your build......

http://www.rcrv.org/ramp/rampguidelines.pdf
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

That's a great link Garager.
                    1 in 12 is code min. if you build it any less than that guess who is liable. Figure out a design that works or go with a lift. You cannot cut corners on this one.

Comment

We've been installing these from AlumiRamp. Easy to install, not too expensive. They're flexible in design, so you only order what you need. 1 in 12 is the minimum code, so make sure you have your distances and height before you order. We usually end up having to do a U shape to get enough distance for the height.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

At one time in life I envisioned being a builder that built modest/elegant homes that were specifically made for people with health problems/disabilities.

Large hallways, elevators, 3' or 4' doorways...basketball gym sized bathrooms where you can take a garden hose in to take care of those accidents from time to time.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

If the height of the deck is 13 inches(2 risers) how about removing the existing steps and incorporating the 5x5 platform with new steps? That should give you the distance you need to stay at 8.3%.

Comment

Working...
                          X