X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladder

Just found the price difference for aluminum ladder and fiberglass ladder is big. For a 8ft ladder from same maker and same type, aluminum is $58 and fiberglass is $104.

Why is that? just because fiberglass is electricity safe? which one last longer?

thanks,

Re: Ladder

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
    Just found the price difference for aluminum ladder and fiberglass ladder is big. For a 8ft ladder from same maker and same type, aluminum is $58 and fiberglass is $104.

Why is that? just because fiberglass is electricity safe? which one last longer?

thanks,
    I know this isn't directly related to your question, but I have an aluminum extension ladder and hate working on it because it is so bouncy. I've only gone up a fiberglass extension ladder once (my chimney sweeps), and it was much less bouncy than my aluminum one.

Comment

Manufacturing costs. I must add anyone who would trust their safety to a cheap ladder does not value their health.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Manufacturing costs. I must add anyone who would trust their safety to a cheap ladder does not value their health.

Mark
        Mark,

But what justifies the additional manufacturing cost of fiberglass compared to aluminum aside from non-conductivity? I'm not arguing that you should cheap out on a ladder, but also you shouldn't spend the money if you don't need whatever it provides.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          Mark,

But what justifies the additional manufacturing cost of fiberglass compared to aluminum aside from non-conductivity? I'm not arguing that you should cheap out on a ladder, but also you shouldn't spend the money if you don't need whatever it provides.

Charles
          A fiberglass ladder is only necessary when working around electrical. The reason fiberglass ladders cost more is because extruding aluminum is much cheaper than laying fiberglass. When I was referring to "cheap" ladders I was referring to both of the ladders not the aluminum ladder. Anything short of a true commercial ladder is an accident waiting to happen.

Mark

Comment

Fiberglass is certainly more sturdier, stronger, less likely to get bent. Almost of all my Aluminum ladders, the rungs will crack and the legs and brackets or get so bent up, they cannot be fixed. I have only thrown 1 fiberglass ladder away, this was because of a rafter that swung down and nailed it, the guys weren't paying attention to what they were doing. Anyhow, I cannot even count how many Aluminum ladders I have tossed away.

Right now I'm down to 4-5 Aluminum ladders, the rest are all fiberglass. And I have alot of ladders. Buy Fiberglass if you want your ladder for life...
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

From the American Ladder Institute website (I'll bet you didn't even know they existed).

“Always climb with safety in mind,” said Thomas W. Greco, ALI president.

First, look at the ladder’s duty rating. This rating notes the maximum weight load the ladder can safely hold. It’s important to remember that this rating corresponds to the total weight of the climber, plus the weight of all tools and gear the climber will bring on the ladder.

The duty rating should be obviously posted on the ladder’s safety label. If the label can not be clearly read, or if it’s missing or lost, do not use the ladder. This may be a sign the ladder is too old to be used safely.

Type III, II, I, IA and IAA ladders offer load capacities of 200, 225, 250, 300 and 375 pounds, respectively.
              Next, it’s important that the climber considers the ladder size. Measure the total height you would like to reach and subtract the climber’s height. This is the highest standing level of the ladder that you should select.
              ----------

Don't forget to inlclude the weight of any tools and/or equipment that will also be suypported by the ladder when selevting the proper ladder rating. This is the reason that Type I or better ladders are the best ones to use for construction. Type I ladders start at the 250# load rating, and this can easily be exceeded by the average worker with a few tools hung around your waist and a length of pipe on your shoulder, so step up to a Type IA or IAA if you need to.

Light Duty Household use - Type III
              Medium Duty Painter & Handyman - Type II
              Heavy Duty Industrial - Type I
              Extra Heavy Duty Industrial - Type IA
              Special Duty Rugged Professional - Type IAA
              Last edited by Bob D.; 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Get yourself a Little Giant ladder, fiberglass or aluminum. They are awesome ladders. I have a small one and I've used it all summer doing projects inside and out of the house.
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Little Giants were the only ladders we had on our trucks. I believe I still have a half dozen or so of their ladders and two step stools.

Mark

Comment

I hear you guys talking about those Little Giant ladders and how great they are. So what's the load rating on those?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I hear you guys talking about those Little Giant ladders and how great they are. So what's the load rating on those?
                      You have your choice 250, 300 or 375. We always had the 300 lb rating but it is more than just the rating. The build quality of the ladder is very good and they do not walk on you. I still have the first one I purchased over 30 years ago.

http://www.littlegiantladders.com/ab...antladders.htm

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the link, Mark

For a few seconds there I thought I might have to actually Google something

We had an old crappy wooden ladder in the basement. That one like to walk and wobble so much I named her Galloping Gertie

Comment

Little Giant is good. But the closest dealer to me is more than 15mi and it's expensive.

Comment

Little Giant is good. But the closest dealer to me is more than 15mi and it's expensive.

I would assume that a hospital visit and/or lost time from work due to an injury sustained from using a crappy ladder would be more expensive.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Tinmack is right, this is one of those times to pay more for quality.
                              Google "Little Giant" and "demo" and you'll find scratch and dent models at a steep discount, some with free shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X