X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good paint

Want to paint my wood siding next week. Anybody can recommend a good paint brand to me? Because it's our house, price is not an important factor. The quality is the most important one. Sure I will use it right.

thanks,

Re: good paint

Sherwin-Williams Exterior Paints
    Duration® Exterior Latex Coating

Advanced exterior formula with PermaLast® technology for the most durable, longest-lasting coating available.

Guaranteed for as long as you own your home
    One-coat, self-priming performance
    No blistering, no peeling - virtually no maintenance
    Available in Flat, Satin and Gloss finishes

We used this on one of our rentals, and it went on with one coat and covered really well. They also sell a "Loxon" primer that covers up most anything and improves adhesion, but if the wood is cleaned well and scraped, it wouldn't be needed.

Comment

Pittsburgh Paint is also good.... I also like what nkyrental said for paint, but for primer I like Zinnser Bullseye 123 primer, oil based....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have always used Sherwin-Williams on my projects for customers,

but I know people who have had good results with the box store items as well, I have used few of the box store brands,

I have used some ACE paints for my own use, and had not have any problems with them, but I do not know if I would used for other peoples work,

preparation is the key to any good paint job, removing the old and pealing paint if there is moisture coming through the building it will push nearly any paint off the wall,

know one house you could tell were there bath room was exactly as it would never hold paint, on that section,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just came back from Sherwin_Williams store. There are two Sherwin_Williams paint:

1. Sherwin-Williams Duration: no primer required, paint two coats, this month special price $43/gallon

2. Sherwin-Williams SupperPaint: primer first and then on coat of it, $46/gallon

Which one is better?

And for each of them, there are flat, satin and gloss types. Which type I should use?

thanks,

Comment

I would guess it would depend on if you want to prime or not, (my guess is they both Carry the same guarantee)

If you go the primer route then you will have to decide the type of primer and whether you should go latex or oil and which type.

the theory is the primer is to bond to the substrate and the paint to the primer.

If all is done correctly, proper prepping, a high quality primer is used, (In theory primer is better), and a couple of coats of quality top coat, and all are compatible, an properly timed, (some paints need so long to cure and some times redcoats are recommend to be applied in some many hrs or days, not as much on extier paints),
            I would say that would be your better paint job,

and If you know your going to be buying X number of gallons ask if there is a better discount,

the glossier it is if your ever going to wash it it will wash easier than a flat, but much is on the look of what you want, gloss will show more imperfections

kinda like the difference of your car washed and polished and covered in dirt, (no sheen) flat,

the satin is kinda halve and halve not gloss and not entirely flat, (my guess there normal).

(they may have a board with the three sheen's on it for one to compared)

the flat will not reflect or show imperfections as much, you may want to get a quart of each flat , gloss, and the satin, and do some test patches and see what you like,

IN my experience when the paint does fail, (it is not the paint, it is the product the paint is on), if you look at pealed paint you many times will see a small layer of the "product" that it was on, wood cells still attached to the back surface of the paint, so when you go back in and take a hand full of paint chips and say the paint failed they will inform you the paint is still adhered to the wood the wood failed, regardless you now have a house with chipped and pealing paint. regardless of what failed, (in my opinion latex's are more prone to that than oil bases, (the best paints IMO were the old lead oil paints, they Breathed,
            the latex's, are a sheet of plastic, (I do not now if you remember when latex's first came out, about the same time as Teflon did, and one of the paints company's advertisement was to paint a Teflon coated sheet pan with paint, and then score it and remove the paint film and show how it wrapped your house with a protective sheet, well that protective sheet also keep moisture in, and then the substrate fails under the paint thus the pealing,

the flat may be some better than the gloss in this regard, but I do not now if much if any.

These are my opinions an experiences and what I think is happening to many painted surfaces,

(but depending on the value of your time and the costs of the prepping and the paint and the coats required),
            You may jsut want to look into a quality maintenance free siding, many times the cost is not that much more, than a high quality paint job,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm painting my house right now with Duration, and it isn't what I thought it would be. It isn't as thick as most paints I've used, although I'm used to interior paint so maybe that's the reason. If you change to a different color you might have to do two coats. I am going from a light peach color to an Avocado Green, and it isn't covering in one coat.

Hopefully everything will be okay, although I won't be in the house much longer as I'm probably moving in 9 months or so.

Comment

Working...
              X