X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fixing doorframe

Are ya done yet, what did you end up doing???????
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Not yet….Have not had the time since I posted and also going away on vacation today – but I will look at doing it when I get back in a week’s time. I did however, get some of the same trim at my local HD so at least around here this seems to be a standard design. Maybe depending on where you live the trim designs stocked may be different.

I was thinking that it may be easier to paint while the trim is removed and then install the new trim – this way it will be easier to paint the small gaps between the trim and the vanity.

Comment

Hello everyone - finally got around to finishing this - been busy with going on vacation and other stuff not related to the house.

Here are the after pics

Could have been better I suppose - but looks acceptable I think.

I have another question for garager and others - even after painting and fixing the door trim there is still some visible leftovers from the previous counter. To be more specific if you look at this pic -

There looks like a small ridge above the backsplash. I was thinking of smoothing off with drywall mud and painting over to try and conceal it - would that be the best thing to do.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

You've got a skim-coat of mud on the walls, and it's been stippled, so it'd be really tricky to add putty in that small space and make it match right. How about adding a 1/4-round piece of wood trim above the backsplash? That should be enough to hide the space, and it would look ok. You could paint it white like the rest of the trim, or use a higher grade of 1/4-round and stain it.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

It looks great. Very impressive for your first trim job.
            Regarding the ridge/gap issue:
            You've got the remnants of several old caulk jobs built up there. Instead of mudding it and adding the the layers, I would scrape and sand all that crap down to the original wall, then patch/smooth the wall with mud, then a fresh bead of caulk in the joint between backsplash and wall (with PAINTABLE caulk), then paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              It looks great. Very impressive for your first trim job.
              Regarding the ridge/gap issue:
              You've got the remnants of several old caulk jobs built up there. Instead of mudding it and adding the the layers, I would scrape and sand all that crap down to the original wall, then patch/smooth the wall with mud, then a fresh bead of caulk in the joint between backsplash and wall (with PAINTABLE caulk), then paint.
              Sounds good to me too.....

Nice job on your trim blue_can, it came out very nice.....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Around here most houses have textured walls. In my tool kit I believe I have 3 different texture spray guns - a large air powered one as well as one big and one small hand held one. There is a skill to spraying and then kocking down the texture to match the original since the globs that get sprayed out depends on the tool settings. My efforts are probably okay but by no means excellent.

According to my drywall book this is called a "knock down texture".

The trim idea is also an interesting one. I could even make some granite trim out of the leftover slab but with a lot of unusual designs like this it may look good or not but it is hard to say until you try it.

It may look cool. However, maybe just finishing off the wall with drywall mud is the safe option.

Comment

Small areas like what you need to patch, I just use a 1" wide putty knife and sort of dab on some mud, let it dry then sand down for it to match with the textured wall. No need for a gun or anything else. Besides, the new caulking will hide most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                    Thanks for the feedback guys. Around here most houses have textured walls.
                    Around here, I've never seen a house with texture. When I watch the flipping shows, I always wonder why they wreck perfectly good drywall with bumps.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      Around here, I've never seen a house with texture. When I watch the flipping shows, I always wonder why they wreck perfectly good drywall with bumps.
                      Becauwse half those guys dont know how to tape!!!!!

Comment

LOL...for some reason that is popular arund here. In fact it is even done on the outside Most houses around here have stucco exteriors which are usually textured. I don't believe I have ever seen a brick house or other kinds of exteriors.

The kock down texture is done by spraying the globs with a gun and then knocking them down with a drywall trowel or putty knife.

One thing for sure is that it is good for hiding mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                        X