X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sag in door

I have a patior door that sags to the right side. I am including a picture that shows the sag compared to the other door.
    With the very hot days and no rain we are having in the Dallas area there is some setteling of the house.
    Can I add some shims behind the bottom left hinge and correct this sag? Or would I have to make the hinge seat in the door frame at the top deeper?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by harrison2119; 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM.

Re: Sag in door

From the picture it looks like the door is racked. The gap between the doors appears to be even so shimming the hinges may not work. I would definitely not cut the top hinge deeper as it may cause the door to bind and not close. You could try to shim the lower hinge as this is easily reversible if it does not work. If the door is actually racked than the real solution is to replace the door.

Comment

*snip* I had some useless advice that wbrooks trumped! His advice is always good.

I hope you're not in the way of the latest hurricane!!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        From the picture it looks like the door is racked. The gap between the doors appears to be even so shimming the hinges may not work. I would definitely not cut the top hinge deeper as it may cause the door to bind and not close. You could try to shim the lower hinge as this is easily reversible if it does not work. If the door is actually racked than the real solution is to replace the door.
        I don't know what racked means. These are steel doors. Does that mean that the frame that holds them is misaligned or something like that?

Comment

racked means out of square. Steel doors don't usually move but this one seems to have a large window in it which can weaken the structure. Most 'steel' doors are steel clad with wood and foam interior components that can sag. If the gap between the doors is even all the way down than the door must have sagged. Measure the door diagonally in both directions (top right to bottom left and top left to bottom right) if the measurements are not equal the door is not square
          Last edited by wbrooks; 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much I will make the measurements.

Comment

Brooks nailed it, your door doesn't look as if its hung right. If it operates leave it, if it bothers you or doesn't operate right, re hang the whole works and get it squared up and w/no twist in the frame....

Anybody can hang a door, but to hang a door properly takes experience. If a wall leans out or in or both (I've seen both cases in a door opening on many occasions), this will effect your trimming and jambs being flush with the outer and inner surfaces. You need to take a lot of things into consideration when doing doors and windows to boot...

There are tricks to get doors just right and if you don't have the knowledge to do this, I would suggest to find a door man to get it right. If there is a twist in the door framing, your door won't seal with the weather gasket...

Some doors will hang just perfectly, while others can be a nightmare and full of frustrations...

Good luck.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thank you . I measured the door and it measures 84 diagonally in both directions. I guess it is the framing. A few months ago it started to scrape the rubber insulation off the bottom of the door. I will get someone who knows the job to inspect it.
                Thanks to all of you for the information.
                I should have said earlier that the doors have been in for about three years and slight problems started about 6 months ago. I never open the right hand door but looking at it it seems to be in perfect alignment.
                Last edited by harrison2119; 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                  Thank you very much I will make the measurements.
                  Is the opening itself square?

Comment

The inside measurements are off by 1/2 inch. One diag. is 104 and the other is 1041/2. I will have to get help to fix this. I have not removed the trim and will wait for my help who will be here in a few weeks. I will post the results later
                    Thanks to all who have helped.

Comment

Did you remove the screws in the top hinge to see how long they are. If there short get some longer screws 3" with the same size head on the existing screws. Run the screws in the hinge slowly the door should pull back up if if theres solid framing behind the door.

Comment

Take the jamb side of the hinge loose ...the top and middle one...run a 3 or 4 inch screw inbetween where the hinge screws are then screw your hinges back to the jamb.Do not tighten the middle one as much as the top one.Hope that makes sense(Do 1 at a time so your door wont fall over)

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmoman View Post
                          Did you remove the screws in the top hinge to see how long they are. If there short get some longer screws 3" with the same size head on the existing screws. Run the screws in the hinge slowly the door should pull back up if if theres solid framing behind the door.
                          That should work also

Comment

From what you have said so far, I think there is a greater problem than just the door. If it has started to sag in the last six months, something is settling or shifting. Just resetting the jamb may not do it. Be sure to check this out before you a lot of work that may have to be redone.

Comment

The majority of the time the longer screws were never installed during installation. The problem you have is pretty common. As long as theres not a structure problem above or below the longer screws should work.
                              In the picture it looks like theres a crack in the sheetrock on the left side above the door about 6 to 8" to the right. Is it cracked or a flaw in the picture....my eyes arent what they use to be......
                              Last edited by Gizmoman; 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: b

Comment

Working...
                              X