Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to fix this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: how to fix this

    Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
    If the installer were the only one at risk, then your plan might work.
    BHD - I'm quoting myself here because you have apparently missed my point.
    These examples you give: cars, table saws, ladders, etc., are dangerous things in life. But the operators of these things have the free will to be involved with them or not.
    If you think steak will kill you, then don't eat it. Agreed.
    But what I'm saying is that the EPA has a responsibility to outlaw toxins where there are indirect and secondary victims.
    Parents bought homes not knowing that the previous owners used lead paint, but it is their kids that are riding the short bus to school.
    It's like smoking bans. If you want to smoke, this is America, it's your choice to take that risk. But the government will ban you from inflicting the secondhand smoke on others in public places.
    YES we are never going to live in a risk free world, but NO we do not get to knowingly inflict risk on others.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: how to fix this

      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

      http://www.contractorspub.com

      A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: how to fix this

        Originally posted by BHD View Post
        For lead paints, I really doubt that painting a tractor or a piece of machinery or even many a commercial building with lead paint will harm one, yes I think removing lead paints from toys,cribs, mouth-able surfaces, and food surfaces is a wise and prudent move, in residential and commercial locations where small ones may be located, but to ban paint from my my tractor, or steel sheeting or a bridge. Common sense should prevail here,
        The problem is not only kids eating lead paint, but when lead was used as a body filler and in paints all the old autos and tractors and farm equipment usually winds up in a junk yard. The paint doesn't last forever and can eventually risk contaminting the land and water. The whole idea to move away from lead products is good and will continue to be so.

        But I will agree that not all the products are equal to the more harmful products, however many of them are.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: how to fix this

          Originally posted by Knary50 View Post
          The problem is not only kids eating lead paint, but when lead was used as a body filler and in paints all the old autos and tractors and farm equipment usually winds up in a junk yard. The paint doesn't last forever and can eventually risk contaminting the land and water. The whole idea to move away from lead products is good and will continue to be so.

          But I will agree that not all the products are equal to the more harmful products, however many of them are.
          Our land is already contaminated from lead, leaded gas did it and its everywhere...
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

          http://www.contractorspub.com

          A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: how to fix this

            I worked as a mechanic for years and was exposed to asbestos then and when I placed telephone cables in buildings ( hung ceilings, steam pipe runs) I also handled countless amounts of lead sheathed cable where the lead would flake off into the air and get in your skin while moving it around. I also handled without gloves, gasoline, all sorts of solvents including perclorethylene (dry cleaning fluid). The risks are real, the illnesses debilitating and deadly. I agree that these materials should be handled properly and if possible disposed of or removed from the environment. I do believe there is some hysteria associated with some of these hazardous materials. Unless asbestos is fryable (airborne in tiny particles) it can be encapsulated and made relatively safe. Last year someone broke a thermometer at an area high school and because a small amount of mercury fell on the floor the school was evacuated, and all sorts of police, firemen and hazmat crews were called in. Heck when I was a kid we gargled with mercury! I don't believe it is THAT dangerous and could have been easily contained. My kids are so paranoid about second hand smoke that they think if someone is smoking nearby it could kill them. I have my hands filled trying to explain the difference between protcting your health and living a normal life free from over reacting. Our bodies do a dam good job of protecting us unless we are repeatedly exposed to all this stuff.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: how to fix this

              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Last year someone broke a thermometer at an area high school and because a small amount of mercury fell on the floor the school was evacuated, and all sorts of police, firemen and hazmat crews were called in. Heck when I was a kid we gargled with mercury!
              Weird, must have been a really old one. I remember breaking one 20 or so years ago and we called poison control and they told us that it not even real mercury in the them anymore.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: how to fix this

                Originally posted by garager View Post
                Our land is already contaminated from lead, leaded gas did it and its everywhere...
                Point taken, but still no excuse to continue. I am not a enviromentalist, nor will I go into a global warming excuse. But having seen the effects of VOC's and lead on people I think we at least try to work on better things for the future. Unfortunatly it means we have to deal with sucky products for a while.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: how to fix this

                  Just wondering? But I was around as were my children when lead based paints were de rigeur! Somehow I never developed a fondness for the taste of lead paint(or any other paint). My children were of the same tastes. I believe this to be the result of having a father that provided good food every day.

                  From what I understand of the whole lead paint scare is that it was prevalent in the highly urbanized areas of large cities. Mostly in the "projects". There were many children there who resorted to eating paint from the trim in the apartments they lived in because their parents were so busy selling and doing drugs to worry about a small detail like "feeding their kids".

                  I think the whole thing was overblown just like the GW scare. Gloom and doom provided by those seeking election to scare voters into buying into programs that will supposedly protect them. GAHHH same old crap different day.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X