X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to fix this

what's your opinions about fixing those damages? see attached photos please.

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: how to fix this

Rip off crown molding, inspect fascia and soffit. Replace if damaged/rotted. Strip roof off, replace any rotted boards with 3/4 inch plywood. Inspect rafters and ends for rot/damage - sister/replace as required. Level roof if needed. Replace roof with metal or conventional roofing, depending on budget/remaining time left in house. Check for adequate attic airflow/install vented aluminum soffit. Clad fascia with aluminum cladding. Install outside wall insulation/furring strips/metal reflective - whatever is required. Install required trims and vinyl siding on walls of house. Inspect and replace windows as needed with vinyl windows. Inspect and replace aluminum eavestrough with new seamless aluminum gutters/evestrough.

And you're done.........
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

could just cut it off the decorative rafter tail, and make the edge of the roof one straight edge, and extend the Gutter and use some drip edging under the shingles, in the process inspect for any other rot, and fix as needed,
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Looks like you got yourself the Werner version of the Little Giant.
        How do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
          How do you like it?
          I got it one year ago to clean my gutter. I don't know any differences between ladders at that time and what i was looking for were price and functionality. I bought it from Lowes. I like it, very strong, 300lb, enough for a home owner like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
            How do you like it?
            I too bought one from Lowes recently, I've been using it to paint my house and replace siding. I like it, not as tricked out as a Little Giant but at half the cost I'll make due with it. My neighbors have all been asking about it too.

Comment

Originally posted by AllMetalWeaver View Post
              I too bought one from Lowes recently, I've been using it to paint my house and replace siding.
              When you paint your siding, did you make all bare wood showing up? I just started but found some places are very hard to peel the old paint off. Some places with white coat (primer?) some places there is no white coat (no primer?) looks like places with primer are better than where no primer showing.

Now I am wondering if my decision with Sherwin-Williams Duration paint is good or not, because the Duration does not require primer. It is self-primer paint.

Comment

I worry about not using primer. Even if what you're using says it's a primer and topcoat in one, I just don't trust that. A good primer coat will pay for itself in the longevity of the topcoat. Especially for wood siding that gets so much weather.

Make sure to lightly sand the areas where you see primer to help feather that area in. Otherwise you'll see a lot of bumpy spots on your finish that won't look right. Don't sand so much that you create holes or divots, but you do need to cut the edge of the remaining primer spots so the transition isn't so abrupt.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Any un-primed wood really should have a good coat or two of primer. Brush it out thin and let it soak into the wood. Then use the top coat. If you can get it in your area pickup some good oil base primer, a little raw (not boiled) linseed oil and some turpentine. In a clean pain mix 8 parts primer to 1 part each of linseed oil and turpentine. Use that on the bare wood and be sure it's good and dry. Wait for a long period of no rain and low humidity. If you attempt to seal damp wood it will just keep popping the paint off no matter what you do. Where I live laws have banned using oil paint except on steel machinery parts. No more for wood. GRRRRR Stinkin' EPA and their "Low VOC" *&^%.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grunter View Post
                    GRRRRR Stinkin' EPA and their "Low VOC" *&^%.
                    VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compounds and they cause damage to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system.
                    Why would anyone criticize the EPA for restricting these pollutants?

Comment

because the products that are being made to replace them are crap for the first 3 to 5 years, and it has been happing ever since the EPA banded lead paint, nothing last, nothing is color fast, the products are not very good for the most part, and the look of many of them jsut does not look good.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        because the products that are being made to replace them are crap for the first 3 to 5 years, and it has been happing ever since the EPA banded lead paint, nothing last, nothing is color fast, the products are not very good for the most part, and the look of many of them jsut does not look good.
                        Yeah, and having paint last for awhile is much more important than protecting your liver, kidneys, and central nervous system.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

A decent respirator with appropriate filters, take it out, of your breathing air.

I guess I would prefer use some safety gear, and do the job once and and have it last for a good long time, instead of having to maintain and redo some thing a half a dozen times with out any gear, And have some quality item look like crap in a few weeks,

and besides don't take life so seriously you will never get out of it alive,
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            I guess I would prefer use some safety gear, and do the job once and and have it last for a good long time, instead of having to maintain and redo some thing a half a dozen times with out any gear, And have some quality item look like crap in a few weeks,
                            If the installer were the only one at risk, then your plan might work.
                            But if you take ten seconds to research the harm lead poisoning has done to children in the past century, I think you'll have a new perspective.

Lead poisoning can cause brain damage, developmental delays, reduced IQ, reading and learning disabilities, behavioral problems, hearing impairments, hyperactivity...

Do you want to bring back asbestos too?

Comment

Do you want to bring back asbestos too?
                              the truth is yes I do for some situations wish it was still available.

there are some things that work and work well, and if handled properly there is an acceptable risk to use,

I bet that a very large percentage of the people who had problems with asbestos were also smokers.

next on the list (my guess will be fiberglass) ask Garager, what is happening there still being sold and no or very little warnings on the products,

1/2 of the Asbestos deal was a WPA project, government mandate, for tax supported organizations, and created jobs, in the process, During a time of high unemployment,
                              many of the products were not haphazardous unless one went in beating on them,
                              If it was so dangerous why was "encapsulation" of the product considered safe.

For lead paints, I really doubt that painting a tractor or a piece of machinery or even many a commercial building with lead paint will harm one, yes I think removing lead paints from toys,cribs, mouth-able surfaces, and food surfaces is a wise and prudent move, in residential and commercial locations where small ones may be located, but to ban paint from my my tractor, or steel sheeting or a bridge. Common sense should prevail here,

not that long ago there was a post about California banning brass from plumbing fixtures, as they may contain minimal amounts of lead in the brass composition, maybe you applaud this decision, but where is it going to end, when plastic is used, they will say some chemical is leaching out, such as in the latest baby bottles scare, most plastic faucets are junk for the most part.

and they will find more or smaller amounts of substances do to better science, and so will the permissible amounts be reduced again and again,
                              Is plastic leaching better?

jsut because some thing has a element of danger to it does not mean it is bad or should not be used,

most tools have a dangerous element to them, a table saw can cut off your hand, maybe it should be ban, even that ladder above that many were interested about it can cause one great peril.

electric can kill you,

my guess is more kids are hurt do to automobiles than by most other causes, should kids be band form automobiles,

may be we should have the EPA jsut Ban transportation in general as then no one could ever get hurt by cars and trucks again,
                              OH wait I jsut read on this board where a little gal got thrown from a horse and broke here pelvis and collar bone, the EPA should shoot all horses, at least band them from being around people.

not that long ago I read that a good grilled steak has a potential cancer causing element to it, lest ban eating it can kill you,

where is it going to stop,

Like I said there are Acceptable risks,
                              There will always be Occupational hazards,

Jsut becuse there is RISK involved with a product does not make the product bad or wrong, It means there are right and wrong ways of using it and handling it, and where to use it.

A lot of products are also spun Just like chemical Dihydrogen mono Oxide, has been spun, all the things in the web site for the chemical are true, I did not read one miss truth in it.
                              and I bet if the truth were know my guess is more have died from dihydrogen mono Oxide than from lead and Asbestos combined, and I would be willing to bet that even one reading this post has been hurt in some way by dihydrogen mono Oxide in there life time.

you never going to live in a RISK free world,
                              Last edited by BHD; 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X