X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Corner Cabinet

I am planning a small kitchenette for my basement and would like to install a standard kitchen cabinet (18"W x 24"D x 34.4"H) in the corner. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions on how best to pull this off? I know that I will end up with a decent amount of "dead" space (I am OK with that).

I am relatively new to cabinet installation, but the questions that come to my mind are:

1) how do I make sure that the cabinet is centered in the corner, given that it will not butt up to the wall.

2) what sort of supports will I need to build in to properly support the cabinet given that it will not butt up against the wall

3)how do I connect the "corner" cabinet to the adjoining cabinets?

Thanks!

Re: Kitchen Corner Cabinet

Put a lazy susan in it and you won't have dead space.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by stubits View Post
      I am planning a small kitchenette for my basement and would like to install a standard kitchen cabinet (18"W x 24"D x 34.4"H) in the corner. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions on how best to pull this off? I know that I will end up with a decent amount of "dead" space (I am OK with that).

I am relatively new to cabinet installation, but the questions that come to my mind are:

1) how do I make sure that the cabinet is centered in the corner, given that it will not butt up to the wall.

2) what sort of supports will I need to build in to properly support the cabinet given that it will not butt up against the wall

3)how do I connect the "corner" cabinet to the adjoining cabinets?

Thanks!
      There are specially designed corner cabinets. Can you scan a rough sketch of what you are trying to do [with any nearby appliances etc]? Maybe you don't need to do what you think you do.

Comment

Here is a photo of the look I am trying to attain, as well as a tape outline of what I am looking to do. I am on my Mac at home and don't have any software to draw up a quick design, but basically, I would like to mount a standard 18" base cabinet in the corner. I am not concerned about the lost space. I like the look and the feel of having a flat cabinet in the corner as opposed to a traditional corner cabinet unit.

The tape diagram isn't very clear, but from left to right,
        1) floor to ceiling pantry (18" wide)
        2)Refrigerator
        3) 15" cabinet
        4) 18" standard cabinet in corner
        5) 15" cabinet
        6) stove (20")
        Attached Files

Comment

Stubits,

May I suggest that you take a look at one or more of the many stores in your area that offers kitchen cabinets. There are many designs for corner cabinets specifically, that would mate with normal base or wall cabinets. I'm sure once you see one of these and/or talk to a sales rep, you'll clearly see how this is done.

Basically a cabinet as you mention, is designed to fit directly into the corner, with it's back side walls fitting the left and right walls as they meet the corner and with the other two left and right walls mating with the cabinets on the left and right. Simply described, it's a box that fits into the corner and the corner facing outward is cut off with a 45-degree mounted door.

Using a simple square cabinet (base or wall) would, as you describe present a problem with mounting and support. If you visit a local store (even Home Depot or Lowes), no committment has to be made. But, they are a great resource for information about such things,

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Base cab's are usually cheaper than corner cab's.

You'll want to plate the wall behind the cab in the corner for your counter top so you want to set 15" cabs on both sides to where they go and then put your 18" inside and slide it up to the 2 cabs. make your wall plate 2 by 4 to hold your counter and make sure it is level and fits to the top of the cab tops.

You will have to decide if you want filler on both sides of the 18 to fit up too the 15's. If you can use fillers it will look better in my opinion but you'll have to have the room to do so. Both sides of the fillers will have to be beveled. Other wise you will need to rip a corner off a 2 by 2 or something to put in the back of the face plate for screwing to.

When you get your cab where you need it then you would measure from the back corners of the 18 to the wall and make sure the distance is the same on both sides. You can also measure back corners to the back corner of the side cabs because walls are not always level and straight.

Just take your time and measure a lot to make sure everything is correct and then start screwing things together. Make sure you have some clamps to hold things together and have good levels. A couple would be better.

I know I have not probably said all this the right way to understand ( not good about trying to explain things. ) but there are some good construction people on here to help explain it probably better..

shup
            Last edited by shup; 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

By looking at the photo of what you are trying to achieve, it looks like you are going to put a sink in the corner. In my opinion this cannot be done in an 18" cabinet. You will end up chopping up the cabinet gables to install the sink and it will not be pretty. You are far better off using a pre fabbed corner cabinet as described in CWS's comment. For someone that has little experiance it will go much smoother for you. I hope you are skinny as an 18" cab is not much room for hooking up and servicing you plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboo View Post
                By looking at the photo of what you are trying to achieve, it looks like you are going to put a sink in the corner. In my opinion this cannot be done in an 18" cabinet. You will end up chopping up the cabinet gables to install the sink and it will not be pretty. You are far better off using a pre fabbed corner cabinet as described in CWS's comment. For someone that has little experiance it will go much smoother for you. I hope you are skinny as an 18" cab is not much room for hooking up and servicing you plumbing.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                X