Privacy Fence Fasteners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy Fence Fasteners

What's the right fasteners for privacy fence construction? I'm guessing standard 4x4 posts, 2x4 framework connection, 1x4 or 1x6 vertical. What doesn't react with the treated lumber or leave streaks?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Privacy Fence Fasteners

I used 4x4 treated lumber, waether-resistant screws, concrete and treated privacy fencing. Done.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

We use gold square head drywall screws.Galvanized 1-1/2 pipe sunk 18" in post concrete,hardwared to 2X elevated treated posts.2X4 double top stringer stacked(similliar to house top plate),Bottom stringer 2X4 or 6 vertical.1X6 cedar 6' dogears stacked 50/50 alternated good neighbor every 8'.

Comment

I prefer using stainless screws. They will last, not rust, not bleed.
        I also agree with either cedar or redwood slats and pressure treated posts. If looks is not an issue then pressure treated lumber for the entire thing.

They also have vinyl privacy fences now a days so you may want to look at some fence suppliers for ideas. They are not cheap but once installed properly they are maintenance free.

Cactus Man

Comment

Standard galvanized fasteners will react with the copper content of the new ACQ treated lumber.
          Hot dipped galvanized would work, but you probably will only find lags in that finish.
          Your options are either stainless screws or ceramic coated deck screws.
          Stainless cost a billion dollars so your choice is easy.
          The ceramic screws also come in green, gray or tan to match either treated or untreated lumber.

Comment

A few things I do with fence are...
            1 wrap bottom of pt post with cardboard and plastic before pouring concrete around it.Reasons being here pt posts last about 10 years in the ground and less directly in concrete.This way I unscrew the framing from the post an pull out whats left leaving a hole for the new post and just screw it all back together.
            2 Use the simpson fence brackets for the bottom runner
            3 screw everything to the post and the board on each side of the post...so I can replace the post as said above
            Ive had good luck with galv nails and ceramic coated screws on fences not good luck with both on decks.The climate here on the coast in a coastal rain forest isn't easy on anything.60'' of rain a year right where I'm at now.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              Standard galvanized fasteners will react with the copper content of the new ACQ treated lumber.
              Hot dipped galvanized would work, but you probably will only find lags in that finish.
              Your options are either stainless screws or ceramic coated deck screws.
              Stainless cost a billion dollars so your choice is easy.
              The ceramic screws also come in green, gray or tan to match either treated or untreated lumber.
              Thats what I have, the green ones to match the PT lumber.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I used the tan ceramic deck screws on my cedar panels for the same reason.
                Panels are easy to replace.

Comment

Working...
                X