Rotted Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotted Windows

I had a moisture problem and replaced the window with a replacement vinyl window, over the old aluminum clad wood window. Although that stopped water coming through the sill, I now realize the frame is all rotted under the aluminum and the exterior trim is rotted and quite possibly the backside of the composite siding.

What are my options here? Seeing this now I would take out the old frame, rebuild it and put in a new construction window, but I already put in 8 vinyl replacement windows

Re: Rotted Windows

I think you already answered your question. Rebuild frame, re-flash, and reinstall new windows.

Comment

Dude I hate to break it to you, but you have a big problem there. By building a new frame and putting it back in, you are just hiding the issue at hand. LP lap siding to boot.

LP lap siding expands and contracts alot, this maybe your biggest problem. Is this a south side wall?

It also looks as if you have no insulation in a cavity.

Water is getting in because the is no moisture barrier behind the siding and wrapped into the framing. Now those suds and sill plate are dry rotted, which bugs just love to burrow into.

I just cringe when I see LP siding and I have turned down so many siding jobs because this is what a Home Owner wants installed. When I bid high and they say its ok, then I'll hang it and it'll be done right.

More than likely the caulking joint failed do to the expansion and contraction. Me personally I'd rip off that siding, but chances are you won't. This is a common situation when you open something up. You never plan on sinking anymore money into the project when you discover something is bad. So remember this in the future...

This is the only tip I can give you if you don't fix the problem at hand and that is, use the caulking called Big Stretch, here is a link and you can buy this at most hardware stores. Put this around the perimeter of your window that meets the siding.

http://www.sashcosealants.com/Home_I...Brochures.aspx
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
        I think you already answered your question. Rebuild frame, re-flash, and reinstall new windows.
        Sorry Newman, I didn't see that you answered.

So kraftwerk listen to the man, he's absolutely correct...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yes it is on the south side. The house does not have plywood sheathing and wrap, it just has some kind of shiny weatherproof insulation board directly behind the siding. The worst rot was at the miter joints of the outside trim but I think you are right about the siding. Looking around I can see a lot of places where the caulk is failing. I guess I will be getting some quotes.

Comment

Unfortunately I've seen a lot of the "professional" window installers slap in new retrofit windows in customers' homes, but they never asses the job and address the existing problems. It happens all too often. Homeowners often want the cheapest job, and don't care about existing issues until it poses a problem, but by then it cost more to repair.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post

This is the only tip I can give you if you don't fix the problem at hand and that is, use the caulking called Big Stretch, here is a link and you can buy this at most hardware stores. Put this around the perimeter of your window that meets the siding.

http://www.sashcosealants.com/Home_I...Brochures.aspx
              Sascho stuff is the best out there. I use their Lexel stuff all the time - flexible, rubberized, and paintable. Great for roofing as well. Roofing tar gets brittle, and so does most caulk after time. The Lexel stuff is supposed to stay flexible for 50 years - I would assume the same with the Big Stretch stuff.

Expensive, but the best caulking I've ever used.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                Sascho stuff is the best out there. I use their Lexel stuff all the time - flexible, rubberized, and paintable. Great for roofing as well. Roofing tar gets brittle, and so does most caulk after time. The Lexel stuff is supposed to stay flexible for 50 years - I would assume the same with the Big Stretch stuff.

Expensive, but the best caulking I've ever used.
                I use it all the time too (Lexel) as well as "NP1" (Different Company) for other purposes....

Comment

Window removed:

Inside you can't see much damage (top front of crippled studs and front of sill is rotted):

Comment

Working...
                  X