X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Opinions

I would like people's opinions on air compressors.

I am looking to get an upright/vertical compressor.

I have been on the Sears site and the Craftsman #16760 model has really good reviews compared to all the others.

I am also looking on ebay at the DEWALT D55168 model.

I am looking to stay around the $300 mark give or take.

Re: Air Compressor Opinions

Seeing that there has been no replies so far I thought I would chime in

What are you looking to achieve with a compressor. You need to be specific about that rather than looking at price. Your question is hard to answer without knowing the specifics.

Before you spend any money I would suggest you research compressor and air tool specifications and get a good understanding of all the parameters before you make a purchasing decision.

Rather than writing a long description about compressors I'm linking a very nice thread from PracticalMachinist.com on the subject. It is a long read but worth the time.

For those who are interested in metalworking I highly recommend that forum.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=110655

Comment

Yeah I gathered this and found some more research.

Needed to have them delete this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
        Yeah I gathered this and found some more research.

Needed to have them delete this one.
        Pegsmi.........Noticed you are fairly new to this forum and thought you might not have much experiance. It is considered good form to thank the people responding when you have posted a request for help and one or more people have taken the time to provide assistance.
        Good luck on your compressor search and let us know how it works out. One of the important ways these forums work is by people such as yourself sharing the outcome of the resolution of a problem.
        You know.......maybe some more stuff about what you are going to use the compressor for. What brands and models you are considering. What choice you ultimately made.
        This and other forums are interactive mediums and need interesting dialog to keep people interested........Ray

Comment

Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this I greatly appreciate it.

I ended up going with a Kobalt from Lowes, the initial price was $299 and I had a 10% off coupon.

I have a smaller compressor that could keep up with my framing nailer but barely, I wanted something that I knew would keep up that was bigger and yet portable.

As price was the bigger factor, the 10% off coupon pushed me towards the Kobalt model.

I also was aware that the "oiled" models will last longer, but in my situation if I get 3 years out of the air compressor I will have easily got my money out of it. And the "free" tools that came with it as flimsy as they may be should be nice.

Thanks

Comment

should not have gone with kobalt they are out of business now but when it does'nt work right dont bother calling they are not working take it back to lowes for another or a store credit my hell continues bought a 17 gallon kobalt and has'nt worked right from the day i bought it works thru one cycle then wont restart blows fuses all the time thought it was me but no it was them maybe your'es will work though.

Comment

Originally posted by razerback View Post
              should not have gone with kobalt they are out of business now but when it does'nt work right dont bother calling they are not working take it back to lowes for another or a store credit my hell continues bought a 17 gallon kobalt and hasn't worked right from the day i bought it works thru one cycle then wont restart blows fuses all the time thought it was me but no it was them maybe your'es will work though.
              Kobalt is still in business as well as Campbell Hausfield who makes the compressors. In fact the one he bought is identical to a Husky one for the same price at HD. Are you trying to say that the support for them is no longer available ?
              Also is this a fuse on the unit of on the house ? My brother has a snap on that pop the circuit breaker every time it kicks back on, but it due to the wiring on the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Knary50 View Post
                Kobalt is still in business as well as Campbell Hausfield who makes the compressors. In fact the one he bought is identical to a Husky one for the same price at HD. Are you trying to say that the support for them is no longer available ?
                Also is this a fuse on the unit of on the house ? My brother has a snap on that pop the circuit breaker every time it kicks back on, but it due to the wiring on the house.
                Really? That's funny, because I just returned home from finalizing a Kobalt compressor matter with LOWE'S. Here is my little story:

The day before yesterday, I happened to find the Kobalt 99007 26gal compressor there. The display model was the last one that they had, and I showed interest in it. The manager said that he would sell it to me without the 6 tools (he couldn't find them) for $100. There was also no manual, but he was sure that I could download one from their site.

Well, later on that evening, I went to the Kobalt website. No manuals there, and no information at all on the site. A trip back to the store and I was then informed by another employee that the unit was manufactured by Campbell hausfeld. I checked their site, and guess what? No manuals, and no information on anything even similar to my compressor.

I visit LOWE'S again, on yesterday, regarding the matter, and this time I am told - by even someone else - that the actual manufacturer was Midwest Airtech. It was after their business hours, by then, so I had to wait until this morning to call them.

When I contacted them, I was informed that there was nothing that could be done for me, and that I should immediately take that compressor back. The person I spoke with said LOWE'S should have informed me that there was no warranty on the compressor. I had purchased that unit because of the larger air tank, plus the fact of its stated 3yr warranty. But Coleman/Powermate was the company who was handling the Kobalt warranties - and they went out of business this past March.

I made a trip back to LOWE'S, earlier, to see if there was even a performance plan that I could purchase for it. But I was told that, since Coleman/Powermate folded, there'd be no one to repair it in the event of failure. So I returned the unit, and am now looking into another brand.

Anyone interested in Kobalt compressors had better gain their own clarification on this. You could be out of a tidy sum, if something were to knock your compressor out of commision.
                ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

For only $100 I think I would take a chance on it. If I ended up parting it out it would be worth that much to me, but then others might not want to get into doing their own repairs or being inventive. I'm glad "Old Faithful" still works for my needs.

What a person buys really should be based on their needs both current and what they think they may need in say up to a few years later.

Comment

Originally posted by NLAlston View Post
                    Really? That's funny, because I just returned home from finalizing a Kobalt compressor matter with LOWE'S. Here is my little story:

The day before yesterday, I happened to find the Kobalt 99007 26gal compressor there. The display model was the last one that they had, and I showed interest in it. The manager said that he would sell it to me without the 6 tools (he couldn't find them) for $100. There was also no manual, but he was sure that I could download one from their site.

Well, later on that evening, I went to the Kobalt website. No manuals there, and no information at all on the site. A trip back to the store and I was then informed by another employee that the unit was manufactured by Campbell hausfeld. I checked their site, and guess what? No manuals, and no information on anything even similar to my compressor.

I visit LOWE'S again, on yesterday, regarding the matter, and this time I am told - by even someone else - that the actual manufacturer was Midwest Airtech. It was after their business hours, by then, so I had to wait until this morning to call them.

When I contacted them, I was informed that there was nothing that could be done for me, and that I should immediately take that compressor back. The person I spoke with said LOWE'S should have informed me that there was no warranty on the compressor. I had purchased that unit because of the larger air tank, plus the fact of its stated 3yr warranty. But Coleman/Powermate was the company who was handling the Kobalt warranties - and they went out of business this past March.

I made a trip back to LOWE'S, earlier, to see if there was even a performance plan that I could purchase for it. But I was told that, since Coleman/Powermate folded, there'd be no one to repair it in the event of failure. So I returned the unit, and am now looking into another brand.

Anyone interested in Kobalt compressors had better gain their own clarification on this. You could be out of a tidy sum, if something were to knock your compressor out of commision.
                    Yes really, Kobalt is still in business as well as Campbell. Of course not all of the Kobalt tools are made by one company, same with any of their tool lines. I notice Powermate also makes some Husky too. But I doubt Powermate makes all of them too.

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you where able to get satisfaction on the unit from Lowes. This should help every one take notice when purchasing Husky or Kobalt products to research them a little more.

Comment

Double Post
                      Last edited by NLAlston; 09-12-2008, 03:26 AM. Reason: Double Post
                      ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Thanks to everyone.

I did indeed return that compressor (there were two more of the same Kobalt compressors returned that morning, to a different LOWE'S location), and picked up the DeWalt D55168. However, there was a problem with it. After making a call to DeWalt, and explaining what the problem was, they informed me that there was a problem with it, and that I should return it. I then decided on the Porter Cable (model CPFC2TV3525VP-2) 25-gal, 2-stage compressor. This is the one that I had initially wanted in the first place, after returning the Kobalt, but thought that it might have been a little too heavy for me to move in & out of my basement shop as needed, due to a bad back. But I have found that it isn't too bad at all - navigating it up & down the basement stairs. Yes, it was considerably more money than the Kobalt, and a few dollars more than the DeWalt. But I feel that I now have a compressor to kinda grow into, a little bit - and one with a definite 3-yr warranty .
                        ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                        X