Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood Buring Stove Install

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
    Garager, I don't know what the cost of wood is around here--I have been able to supply my needs right from my own property.
    Jim
    You still going out there with a chain saw? Wow, nothing is slowing you down.... Thats cool....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, you are right about the wood. Up until last year most of the tree services were happy to give the wood away after removing a tree, because they pay to dump the wood. Now they are either splitting it and selling the cords or selling the logs directly. I was lucky to get a good load from a bad storm that felled some big trees and big tree limbs. I can't depend on storms, so the point you made is valid. The other big expense for me is a good gas log splitter. I have chain saws, but I can't be splitting wood by hand anymore. A good gas splitter is roughly $1700.00, that's a lot of money. Now if I was getting a steady supply of free wood and was going to burn for the next ten years it would make sense. My oil boiler Weil McClain Gold and Beckett burner are thirteen years old but in really good shape. I figured if I had the wood stove going round the clock I would be able to keep the thermostat off more than half the season and the only oil usage would be my downstairs apartment and hot water heater. There would be a real savings but the variables exist. My city has an area where they collect woodfor the public but I heard it's a three ring circus at times. Lastly, my only vehicle is an old car, no pick up truck, so unless I can wheel and deal a delivery I'm out of luck. I just has to do something faced with the cost of fule oil doubled.

Comment

Frank,

I was raised heating with wood and when my family was young we heated with wood. In fact, until my son was 6 years old he thought his name was, 'Get Wood.'

We lived in one house for eight years. When we bought the house the oil tank was full. When we sold it eight years later the oil company only had to add 75 gallons to refill the tank to the top. Actually that caused a lot of problems for the new owner. The furnace was an oil fired boiler. After the first couple years we never turned the furnace on. What happened apparently is that plates within the furnace rusted and broke and the new owner had to buy a new boiler. It seems I should have turned the boiler on every month and let it get up to temperature to dry the boiler plates out. But... I didn't know.

Now we have gas hot air heat and a fireplace. I really enjoyed heating with wood and if circumstances presented themselves again I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over. There is nothing to compare with heat from a wood stove.

In terms of saving money I wouldn't even think about it. My wood was free, to a certain extent, but there was the initial cost of the woodlot and taxes to be paid yearly. Then there was the cost of a wood stove, a pick up truck, chainsaws and saw chains, splitters (the kind with handles, not gas operated) and so much more. Oops, don't forget the chiropractor bills every couple years too. If I factored all the costs involved in heating with wood I would have been money ahead working at the local gas station for minimum wage and paying the oil man.

And, don't forget the mess Garager talked about. There will be wood chips everywhere inside and out just like he said. Sooner or later you will forget to open the damper for a few minutes before you open the stove door door and smoke will puff out into the room where the woodstove is. You can plan on repainting every few years. When you are raised with it you accept those things as just part of living. But as a new wood burner be prepared. I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but there are some people, maybe your neighbors, who aren't especially enamored of the smell of wood smoke. Some of it stinks, bad, really bad.

I hope you think about it long and hard before you commit to heating with wood Frank. As a teaching tool for kids to learn that there are other ways to heat besides paying the oil man it is great. My son heats a major portion of our old house, 5,700 sq ft, with wood. But since he was raised with it and doesn't have to buy the wood he is OK. He did however just buy a small John Deere tractor with a loader and backhoe to get the wood out.

There ain't no free lunch.

-Tom
        Last edited by Tom W; 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Tom, that was a real nice post and wondeful story as well. Plenty to be learned and plenty to be considered. I've heard these things from other folks and I've been burning plenty of wood in my fireplace for the last sixteen or so of nineteen years living here. Never paid for wood yet, but times are changing . All my big tree are cleared and I will depend on other folks for wood. I love the smell of a wood fire, I can look at a fire for hours, fire is living thing to me.Sure would be nice to be ten or more years younger with a good back, but here I am run out of ideas and facing the cold. Tuesday I'll be climbing around my roof and taking better measurements to figure out if I can pipe the stove out from where I'd like to have it sit. Hey, maybe if I get this thing up and running the other things will come along? Nice pickup, gas logsplitter, free wood, healthy back, attractive, rich young girl friend. Just kidding my lovely wife, I'll be happy just to be warm this winter.
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-31-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Frank,
            As I recall from previous posts you worked or do work for a telephone company and work or did work in metro NY? I live in Albany, NY. If you live north of NYC I would be willing to come down and give you a hand with the installation if we can make arrangements for a weekend before hunting season. With two old geezers on a roof chances are that at least one of us would live to tell the story.

-Tom

Comment

My parents heated with wood and guess who cut and split near all of it then when I turned 30ish and had my own house I heated with wood.So cutting and hand splitting 5 cords a year went to 10 cords a year.Luckily most times I got the wood for free,that is if you dont add in the pickup chainsaw gas etc.Local hardwoods here theres no way you can get a full cord on a pickup,sure it'll fit but its a gross overload.So figure maybe 6 or 7 trips to haul 4 cords.The house I had was on 2 acres covered heavily with trees and while I fell a few mostly I limbed them and burnt the limbs or the limbs from the saw logs I fell.The problem with that place was it was all hillside too steep for a pickup so it was use the tractor or jeep.A few times my parents bought 10 yard dumptruck loads of logs that long ago cost 75 then up to about 150 a load.
              Locally I now see cords are about 425 to 450 delievered for hardwoods.At that price I really can't see it being cheaper heat.My ex this year decided to rarely heat with wood and go back to mostly gas because of the cost.I seem to develop a lot of scrap wood and trimmings from the place I have now and she comes to get it,3 pickup loads so far this season and theres a load now waiting her to come get it and no I dont bother cutting it to length totally.
              I heat with gas here but do have 2 wood stoves that I have never used ,1 in the parlor 1 in the livingroom.I'd go with pellets if I didn't have gas as theres much less mess.But you do get a lot of heat energy out of wood cutting and splitting it,loading and again unloading it plus the stacking both times,then carrying it in and the ashes out and yes its actual heat value burning.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                Frank,
                As I recall from previous posts you worked or do work for a telephone company and work or did work in metro NY? I live in Albany, NY. If you live north of NYC I would be willing to come down and give you a hand with the installation if we can make arrangements for a weekend before hunting season. With two old geezers on a roof chances are that at least one of us would live to tell the story.

-Tom
                Tom, that's a very generrous offer and much appreciated. You are a real good guy! I really think I can do this myself and I'll explain why. Although the preferred route for the chimney pipe would be straight up, that would put me in a tight attic crawl space and require a roof flashing modification, two deal breakers. The exterior wall I'm planning to exit is a space between my garage roof and main roof, simple horizontal hole from inside the house wall thimble, transition pipe to outside "T", support, wall strap, length of double wall stainless to bring me above the roof line and a difusser cap. Garage roof is easy to stand on mild angle. Nothing could possible go wroooong! I'll be measuring to make sure I have the space to come out on a clean wall and not inside that garage roof. The two roof peaks are offset and I have to measure correctly. I thank you again for your generous offer but I'll be doing this solo. The greater risk of bodily harm will be if I damage the house and have to deal with the wife. My martial arts skills are a little rusty.
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 09-01-2008, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X