X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Buring Stove Install

I am within a few days of ordering a woodburning stove and pipes. I'll have to fabricate a floor mat from plywood and ceramic tile. Gonna be a interesting job but first I have to do some more measuring to figure out the necessary pipe lengths and clearances. It would have been so much easier to have it done but this way I save a couple thousand dollars.

Re: Wood Buring Stove Install

And then. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
      and then. . . .
      STOKE IT
      Why do you ask?

Nice Franki,I would like to hear(maybe see some pics)of what you choose for a back veneer.A friend went with a fabricated river rock,looked nice for his house.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        STOKE IT
        Why do you ask?

Nice Franki,I would like to hear(maybe see some pics)of what you choose for a back veneer.A friend went with a fabricated river rock,looked nice for his house.
        Thanks for the interest. I might not have to do any vertical (wall) protection if my estimates are close. No question about protecting the floor. Not sure what Stoke is up to with that post or nomination. Not everyone is a fan of my comments or humor. What is on your mind Stoke?

Comment

What kind of stove are you looking at?

I hope you are able to to reduce your fuel bill over the winter with it.

Comment

I've been looking at wood stove and inserts for more than two years, comparing features and specs. I decided that the Napoleon 1900 pedestal fits my needs best, it is a large steel stove 3.0 cubic inch firebox and long burn time. The burn times are inaccurate since they are taken under optimum conditions using the best hardwoods etc. I stayed away from pellet stoves because of the many variables involved such as cost and availability of fuel. If I go through with this as I hope it will be challenging, but I should be able to reduce my heating cost by about 25%. I estimate it will be double last year's at roughly $4500.00. Stove should pay for itself in a couple years.

Comment

" ... 3.0 cubic inch firebox ... "

How many toothpicks can you fit in that tiny firebox?

[I realize this was a typo, just having some fun, couldn't resist]
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You might want to contact your insurance co and tell/ask about their specs and how much it's going to affect your rates.

I had a friend install a wood stove and his insurance found out and told him to remove it or they were dropping him.

Back when I heated with wood only, I had a heck of a time finding anyone that would even take me.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  " ... 3.0 cubic inch firebox ... "

How many toothpicks can you fit in that tiny firebox?

[I realize this was a typo, just having some fun, couldn't resist]
                  Yeah, that would be a tiny one. Glad I'm not a politician!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    You might want to contact your insurance co and tell/ask about their specs and how much it's going to affect your rates.

I had a friend install a wood stove and his insurance found out and told him to remove it or they were dropping him.

Back when I heated with wood only, I had a heck of a time finding anyone that would even take me.
                    Thanks for the advice. I think I should be okay as long as I follow clearances to code. They have dropped homeowners for having trampolines, too many broken bones.

Comment

Franki: Have you looked at Vermont Castings? They are spendy, but boy, do they heat. Had one in my last house--I could stoke it at 10 PM and it would still be heating at 7 AM. Check it out.
                      Jim

Comment

Vermont Castings makes some beautiful and well engineered stoves, but the cost factor is a problem. I'm limited with my money so I found a stove that is well rated with good features. I need to wet my feet in this endeavor and see what its' like to keep a stove burning, how much money I'll save and how available "Free" wood will be as more people fight for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I've been looking at wood stove and inserts for more than two years, comparing features and specs. I decided that the Napoleon 1900 pedestal fits my needs best, it is a large steel stove 3.0 cubic inch firebox and long burn time. The burn times are inaccurate since they are taken under optimum conditions using the best hardwoods etc. I stayed away from pellet stoves because of the many variables involved such as cost and availability of fuel. If I go through with this as I hope it will be challenging, but I should be able to reduce my heating cost by about 25%. I estimate it will be double last year's at roughly $4500.00. Stove should pay for itself in a couple years.
                          I really can't see this happening, unless the furnace that you have right now is really bad or your getting free wood. The cost of a cord has gone up, and depending on your area, its more than natural gas. I have also thought about it, but I have a 95% efficiency furnace and some of the best wood burners are around 73%-75% efficiency.

Also your home insurance will go up, big time for burning wood. And if you don't tell them and your house catches on fire because of the wood stove, you won't be covered. Burning pellets and others are more expensive then wood, so I was told.

I also hate the mess that wood creates, outside as well as inside. I wish you all the luck on your savings, but I don't see it, unless that wood is free or dirt cheap or you have your own 80 acres to go out there and do your own cutting.....

Pipestone, what do you pay for a loggers cord?????? Its been a while since I have seen the price, is it around $420.00 for a cord of Poplar and Birch and Maple, either one or mixed??????? My uncle if I recall right goes thru 5 cords on a normal winter, maybe 6. He gets his wood from county sales, they will charge him, lets say $100.00 and he can go to a certain area and cut so many cords, this way its considered selective cutting and that area won't get hacked away......
                          Last edited by garager; 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: Added more
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Vermont Castings makes some beautiful and well engineered stoves, but the cost factor is a problem. I'm limited with my money so I found a stove that is well rated with good features. I need to wet my feet in this endeavor and see what its' like to keep a stove burning, how much money I'll save and how available "Free" wood will be as more people fight for it.
                            Oh, so you are getting free wood...... OK
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, I don't know what the cost of wood is around here--I have been able to supply my needs right from my own property.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X