X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior painting question

I think I will paint the exterior of our camp this week. It has been about ten years and the paint, a shade of pink with bubble gum darker pink trim, is a dulled. Last fall I scraped and primed the few spots that required attention. The last time I painted it I took all the paint off down to the wood, primed and then painted. The question I have is, do I need to sand the entire surface so the new paint will stick to the existing painted surface as I do with interior painting? Or is exterior paint formulated significantly differently so that no sanding/scuffing is required?

I plan to pressure wash it before painting.
    Thanks,
    -Tom
    Last edited by Tom W; 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM. Reason: added washing statement

Re: Exterior painting question

You should be fine to paint over the existing paint. The only time you will see an issue is if the paint was peeling or there was still a lot of sheen like on a semi gloss paint. Same goes for interiors, no need to sand everytime.
    Once you pw you should be good to go.

Comment

Do not power wash, if you do allow at least 2 days to dry. I don't sand after scrapping, because I use the best primer, 123 Bullseye Zinseer Primer. Thats stuff is awesome and I will stand by it any day of the year..... Oil based if its new lumber, old gets latex. I either spray it on, roll it on or 2 coats by brush, depends on the material, on how I tackle it....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager and Knary50,

Thank you for the advice. I don't think it needs to be power washed and I really didn't want to do it because I have time constraints and the wood is pretty clean. I will just wipe it down as I go. Last year I scraped the few spots that needed it and primed with the 123 Bullseye Zinsner Primer so it looks as though I am all set to go.

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

Prep is everything with painting, advice is kind of hard to give when we don't know what material you are painting. And pictures are worth a thousand words...
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Prep is everything with painting, advice is kind of hard to give when we don't know what material you are painting. And pictures are worth a thousand words...
            Well said. If the coating is loose, it has to come off. If the underlayment is deteriorated (soft/rotten) it has to be replaced. If it can hold water or water can seep into it, it needs caulk. If the caulk is cracked, it needs replacing. After that, the primer and paint depends on what you have after the above. Painting is the Easy part.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Oh, so you come in here looking for "free professional advice", which I am suppose to take and hour or two out of my life and give you perfect advice. Boy, what an idiot I can be for not doing this for you, gofor, do you feel the same way.

Ummm, maybe he has steel siding or vinyl perhaps, wait a minute he may have cementatious instead, but then again it could be real wood. There I go again, wasting 5 minutes of my time and not giving out any professional advice, shame on me.

Hey gofor, do you know what part of the house a rook is, could this be in the basement area.

My real advice now is, hire a professional to do your job.

Comment

On the label of the paint can are the instructions, follow them and you will be good to go.

Originally posted by topak
                Gee, thanks guys! Looks like you are some kind of a professional painting contractor!

http://www.proexteriorsusa.com

Comment

Working...
                X